1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Holiday blues?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by James_B, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Anyone got them?

It seems like everyone is down since the X-mas season started. What gives, isn't this season a season to be happy? Lack of sun, to cold why is everyone so down? If they aren't down they're stressed as heck.

I tell you what. If this is how X-mas is going to be when you're an "adult" count me out.

James_B

2. I'm not down, but I can understand why many people are:

1.) December is simply the bleakest, darkest month. :spit: (Northen hemisphere)
    2.) The holiday season, and the pressure that we're supposed to be happy at this time of year adds unnecessary stress to those who are thinking of loved ones that have passed away, and are no longer here to join in the celebrations.

The loss of a job, relationship breakups and death are all magnified at this time of year, just as a candle seems to glow more brightly at night than in the day.

Mike

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    What about the stress of parking at malls, falling off ladders putting up lights on your house in the frigid cold, getting that spare bedroom ready, planning the extra meals, trying to please your bratty kids with the presents they want, etc.

But don't worry, come Xmas day, all is usually good.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have some in-laws givin' us the 'Holiday Blues' with their alcohol induced psychotic rants.

They've driven a sizeable wedge in between my wife, her brother and my mother in-law and they come on all nice during the holidays and then terrorize my mother in law with the 3AM drunken rants on the phone periodically through-out the year.

Just what she doesn't need in her golden years.

The only other 'holiday blues' I get is on the guitar with the few extra days off I get to play/practice alot more.

5. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I get down because Christmas is so commercialized and fake to me. Also, it seems like the only time of the year where people decide to care for others...the Christmas spirit it's called. What about the rest of the year. There is also the pressure to give gifts and to figure out who stays with what family.

6. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville

My parents and the wife are asking me what I want . The problem is I don't want anything . I buy one really nice thing for each of my kids and that's it . I do buy something small for my toddler niece (1), say under $15.00 .

All I would like is for every body to be healthy and happy , good food , drink , positive reflection on the past year and the same outlook for next .

I absolutely hate the commercialization of Christmas.

I suffer seasonal depression anyway and all the "buy,buy,buy ,buy,buy,buy,buy" ads don't help.

My fathers family ceased gift giving at age 18. I would really like that .

I won't get religious but that aspect has also seemed to have fallen by the way of marketing.It also bring out the once a year Christians.

wait for january and all those nice people will be flipping you off in traffic.

rant , rant ,rant............

7. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I also can't stand most Christmas songs/carols.
    They are so overplayed that I want to rip my ears off and plug up the holes with cement.
    Ok, maybe it's not that excrutiating, but it's bad.

I think i remember hearing once that the Christmas season produced the most suicides annually.

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    fwiw, i tend to feel the worst in december and january. i'm really starting to catch it at present, just in time for winter break. :meh:

9. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    The best christmas music is by 80's hair bands!:rolleyes:

10. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Not if they replay all the same tired standards.

11. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    It's nothing a little Lagavulin 16yr can't fix.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Eh...what does this mean - I though there were only 4 seasons...:confused:

And Xmas holiday won't start until 22nd Dec, when I go to my office Xmas party!

13. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Sly Stallone will be busting out his geriatric cinema extravaganza just in time for Boxing Day. I think Fellini's directing this one. "Yo, Adrian!".

Anyway if this doesn't bring a smile to your face, I'm at a loss. And I vow this will be the last time I inflict this video on my fellow TB'ers:

http://www.twango.com/media/drdoodle.funny/drdoodle.10011

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Kinda... been kinda sick... so trip to ER, 5 trips to dr. and insurance company slowing this crap down by not letting me have my meds. is making this holidays little less great... No bass is making it worse... damn tuning pegs are still in the mail... Should be here Friday... oh man that would be good.

Still though, life is good...

15. I haven't herd a single person say "Marry Christmas" or "happy Holidays" yet.

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    In that case...

[voice=Eddie Murphy]

Merry New Year!

[/voice]

17. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i miss my mom, and my dog. i always visit them on christmas day. we had my dog cremated and i spread some of her ashes where my mom is. she loved that dog. i cant travel on holidays anymore. the first thanksgiving without my mom, i went and spent it at my brothers house. it tore me apart realizing no one would be visiting my mom on thanksgiving. those 2 holidays were huge for her. she had a crappy childhood so she did everything to make sure we had great tg and christmas and i'm not talking about gifts. it was just something about those holidays.

18. You know, I usually hate christmas. Just never have been able to get into the spirit of it. But this year, I managed to snag my wife a couple of awesome gifts, and now I'm so excited I can't for it to come. I feel like a little kid at....well, christmas.

I did watch Twisted Sister perform "Oh, come all ye faithful" on Jay Leno last night. Now THAT was depressing.

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    You know what... i figured out why i am not feeling it this year... I missed TSO this year... Time to download their videos and watch them for 10 days none stop!

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

in america, christmas starts around mid-november.