Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Holland/Jarrett rumor

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Slapfiddle, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Slapfiddle

Slapfiddle Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2004
    New York City
    I've been hearing rumors that Dave would be replacing Peacock in Jarrett's trio. I asked Dave in Chicago at the Showcase if he would be playing with Jarrett anytime soon and he seemed a little surprised that I asked him that. He went on to say they've only played a little bit together, with Kenny Wheeler in the 70's (Gnu High, ECM) and with Miles before that. He mentioned that he and Keith are acquaintences and that Keith already has a great bass player. Either the rumors are false or he was jiving me which would suck because he's my idol.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Why would he jive you?

I don't think of the two of them as being very compatible anyway.

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    ... he explains you that the rumour is unfounded and you still bring it over here (on the net) ... that's pretty smart. :D

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The other thing is - it ain't like it's the Beatles, right? Jazz musicians play in different configurations all the time. If something comes up or somebody's sick or has to sub out part of a tour because they have other commitments or whatever. Oh, you can't make it? OK, I'll call so and so.

Maybe Dave wasn't "surprised that (you) asked him", maybe he was just surprised at the question. If you asked me (for example) who I was going to be playing with in the near future, I could tell you in pretty short order. If you asked me specifically when I was next going to be playing with somebody I only played with years ago, well that would kind of take me by surprise to.

BRAIN RUST - I dunno, Dave manages to remain Dave in a surprising range of projects - Vassar Clements, Metheny, Hank Jones, Metheny, Herbie...