Hollow-bodies getting more popular?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Oct 30, 2004.

1. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I don't know if I'm imagining things, but it seems that hollow-body basses with that vintage vibe (archtop, 4string, etc) have become more popular- either that or manufacturers are just trying to create an expanded market for them by producing more.
    Most of them are in the old Rivoli style- I think Dean's new Stylist is kind of classy actually. Anyone's thoughts on this?
  2. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    I really have no idea, but I have a chambered-body Valenti j on order and I recently bought an Italia Mondial semi-hollow.
  3. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Probably has to do with the return of garage rock at least in part.
  4. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    They're a little classier too. F-holes, yum.
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    yah- that's one of the things I love about them, F-holes just look classy. The major downside seems to be that tehy are not tonally diverse- just straight up thumpy classic sound.
  6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Theres some nice hollowbodies about at the moment from some of the most "modern" manufacturers- Lackland and G&L off the top of my head :)
  7. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    This Oscar Schmidt Delta King cost less than $250. Sounds like an Acoustic Bass w/more booty
    Oscar Schmidt Delta King

Edit:"Acoustic Bass Guitar" I mean
  8. phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Im love love love the Ibanez Artcore singlecuts. I actually had one pre-ordered, but I got impatient and cancelled (and bought an upright instead). I found one at Guitar Center the other day, and while the sound was way, way brighter than I'd've liked, I still wish I woulda bought one. Freakin' gorgeous.
  9. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    A good hollow body has a tone and sustain that is not unlike an upright. A number of companies are making inexpensive ones that come close to that tone without the boominess that, say, a Gibson has(to quote John Entwistle, "BOOM,BOOM,BOOM). I've got an Artcore that comes close, though it was not as inexpensive as the pictured model( need to check that out). As usual I want to mess with the pu, but that's almost a bad habbit. And, boy howdy, would I like a Lakland...
    As to whether the increase in models is manufacturer driven, I don't really have an opinion. My own bias is that many options are good, so offer away.
  10. arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes, it is too bright with the supplied roundwound strings. (I tried one - it sounds twangy that way.) Put a set of flats on them, pull out the frets, and I bet THAT'D be something else. (No, I didn't ask to have it restrung, as I was just fooling around with it in the store.)

HOW you play the bass contributes a lot to the quality of the sound, along with the bass's and amp's settings. I suspect a lot more than just one sound is available with the Ibanez Artcore hollow-body.
  11. 'Bout time, too!

I recently bought a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody. Put TI Jazz Flats on it two weeks ago. This thing is just nervana.

Yes, it seems like everyone is starting to come out with a hollowbody. It's an interesting type instrument - sounds sometimes like a P, sometimes a J, sometimes an upright, sometimes it has its own sound. Maybe manufacturers have discovered a new "market segment." Bassists need a hollowbody in their arsenal now. Another bass sold in a new, unchartered, uncluttered dimension of bass consumerism.

Then again, maybe its just HB mojo. :cool:
  12. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Personally, the more upright-like an electric/acoustic-electric can be, the better. I just wish uprights weren't so expensive (for me).
  13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    How do you like that Mondial? A friend of mine has one strung with D'addario Chromes. Nice thump, but I find the piezos to be way too harsh.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?
  15. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I was wondering the same thing, only it was more like "Who are you talking to?"
  16. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    There was a post that was deleted.

I am gassing for a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody with TI flats.
  17. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    This may be a dumb question, but what is TI?
    (I know what flats are, but TI??)
  18. arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Thomastik-Infeld. That's the brand name. They are *very* high quality strings.
  19. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've got a Gibson Les Paul Signature that is an amazing bass. It produces the richest, warmest bass tones I've ever heard, but I'm afraid to take it out of the house these days for fear of it being stolen or damaged. Fortunately the Epi Jack Cassidy and Lakeland HB are excellent modern HB's and they get me buy just fine.
  20. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Oooo!! I've been eyeballing the Jack Cassidy, but I have to order it since the local sound shop doesn't have one in stock. What's it sound like? Good for jazz?