Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hollow bodies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Usul, Sep 2, 2000.

1. Well....here I go asking questions again!

How does the hollow body work?It`s an electric than can also be played accoustically,right?This seems like a great idea.How come I see so few of them in the shops and all?I plan to spoil myself after I have been learning bass for a year or so by buying a new ax.I`ve been thinking it would be hella practical and kind of nice to have an accoustic,but since I can`t afford two basses....What are the pros and cons of hollow bodies.The only one I have researched is the Epiphone Jack Cassidy Signature model(hey I`m a sucker for the retro look).Just wondering if the amplified preformance of hollow bodies suffers at all.A better question would be :Does the accoustic performance of hollow bodies stand up to a "real" acc. bass?Seems like there could be a bit of a diminished volume/tone level due to the restrictions of the body type(electric bass body)since the chamber is so small in comparison to all the accoustics I have seen.Just wonderin` is all.

Usul a.k.a.Wild Bill(for my ICQ freinds *grin*)

p.s.Why is damn near EVERY "unplugged" or accoustical recording/version of a song have only the lead/rhythem guitars played accoustically?It seems the bass is still always electric?Is there a reason?(They really DO need us don`t they? =P)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, there's a lot of questions there. The hollow body basses are usually accoustic-electrics. They may have piezoelectric pickups and/or magnetics. The hollow body imparts a different tone than a solid body, sometimes even upright bass-like. Most accoustic electric basses don't sound that great un-amplified. The body volume is just to small to resonate well at the lower frequencies. There are some fairly good ones out there for accoustic sound (do a search). Taylor makes a big ol' honkin' one that is one of the better ones. Better go in with good financing, though.

As far as the "unplugged" concerts I've seen, including Eric Clapton and even Kiss, the bass players are playing accoustic electrics just like the guitar players' A/E's.

I've got my eye on a beetchen Azola Jazzman 5, which has a hollow body and a fretless, upright-style fretboard. I played it through a Fafner, and got it to sound a LOT like an upright. Yum. I hope the money tree fruits soon.

3. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I have the Casady bass you mentioned.Its superb!Great tone pluged in or not.Without an amp,acoustic/semi acoustic bass guitars just arent loud enough to play along with acoustic guitars.They have a certain quality to their tone you just cant get from ANY solid body bass ive come across.You need both IMHO.Good luck!

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I have a DeArmond Starfire and as Bernie said, not loud enough to be heard unamplified. OK for individual practice when you need to be quiet but that's about all. Very nice tone plugged in though.

5. joen

joen

Sep 2, 2000
    I have the Guild Starfire II model and agree with MJB that it's a total tone change. Cool sound if you're looking for something different.