1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hollow body Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JDLowEnd, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Gibson Midtown Bass

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Guild Starfire II Reissue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Norwich, CT
    Well I have always played solid body basses forever and am looking to dive into a hollow body. I have done some research but have primarily narrowed it down to the gibson midtown bass and the guild starfire ii bass. I know they have different countries of origin (USA vs Asia) but I am curious if anyone has any sway in the decision. I know the guild will be easier to purchase online so there's that. I have never played a hollow body bass before, but I am looking for a two-pickup bass for more tonal variety. I have a simple amp with limited EQ (orange bass terror) and sometimes use an aguilar tone hammer DI pedal. I use a single obc115 bass cab which has no tweeter, so I lose a little sparkle.
    Thank you!

2. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Not on your list I know, must you may want to give a look to the Gretsch 5440LSB.

3. Another bass you haven't mentioned, is the Lakland Skyline Hollowbody.

Two pickups in roughly the Rickenbacker positions, one at the neck, the other a little forward of where a Stingray's pickup is.

I played one at a get-together about 10 years ago, and I couldn't put it down.

Great build quality, and very versatile tone-wise.

About $1,500.00.

If you can deal with one pickup, try an Epiphone Jack Casady. I have one, and love it.

Mike

4. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Norwich, CT

I have been looking at them, but figure multiple pickups would be better for more tonal options. I guess I’m saying that since I already have a precision bass with a “middle only” pickup. There is a JC locally but the guy wants $700. It’s tough because I want to try them but no local places carry any.