hollow body basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yellow_rev, Nov 12, 2003.

1. yellow_rev

Oct 27, 2003
    i havent seen many hollow bodies around but i really love them. could anyone who has a pic of them post it and im considering buying one in the near future so if you have any recommendations that would be really cool. i dont that much money, darn economy and lack of employment, but im willing to spend up to 700 if i have to. anyway if you have any hollowbody pics oculd you please post them. thanks alot
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My Conklin Hollowbody 7 string:

Unfortunately these cost a little more than $700

I also have a hollowbody 8 string being built..
  3. OK, so mine doesn't look as impresive as Progzilla's, and it's not even completely hollow, but it's still an incredible bass.

Rick Turner Renaissance fretless.
  4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    This one's a bit out of that $700 price range, but very easily in the list of the best 5 basses I've ever layed hands on.

5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The Epiphone Jack Casady is squarely within your price range... Again, not nearly as impressive as any of the basses shown previously, but a great sounding axe!

6. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    I've had 2 of the 3 other basses - a Ren & a Lakland HB - both fine basses, but they are gone and I now have 2 Casadys (and a few other basses - see profile). Best HB I've found, dollar for dollar, is the Casady. Certainly as "impressive" as the other two (YMMV) (now that Conklin is in a class by itself :)
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    my little piece of hollowbodiness.
  8. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    The Yamaha BEX4C should be within your price range and is pretty versatile, thanks to its piezo/magnetic pickup arrangement and 3 band EQ. Plus it looks damn good too, IMO.
  9. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The Lakland Skyline series has started making hollow bodied basses that I'm sure is far less expensive than the domestic models. These are sort of Guild/Gibson looking. I'll take an edcuated guess and figure its in your price range.
  10. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Here's a link to the Lakland Skyline hollow body bass I mentioned Lakland Pretty nice looking if I might say.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Well i have a bit of a hollow body addiction so here you go, I would say the Jack bass is your best bass. It is my main giging 4 string and it was my main axe for quite a whille. I have recorded with it with no problem and your not going to bust your back up playing a long set. I use TI powerbass strings with it and the thing sounds like a harp. I have a warwick infinity ltd 2000 it is not a full hollow body but is chamberd, thier hard to find but are great basses. Actually all my basses right now are hollow, except the Sadowsky on the way.

I have this hollow body violin bass which is pretty cool. The down side is their not very versitile and they are a pain in the asphalt to intonate and set up.

PS the JAck Casady bass gets a better acoustic tone then any acoustic bass guitar i have played.
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here's one of JT's Hollowbody 7s

16. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Dean Rhapsody HB - cheap! sounds pretty good! but is only semihollow.
  17. I definitely second the semi-hollow Reverend.
  18. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

DiPinto Belvedere Std - low in your price range, semi-hollow, good construction, nice sound. I couldn't deal with the ergonomics (no upper body horn plus 24 fret neck means the neck sticks waaaay out the left).

Godin A4 - in your price range. Nice jazz-sized neck (usually), semi-hollow w/braced top and piezo pickup only. A good range of available tones. No upper body horn makes ergonomics less-than-ideal but for me they were workable in the end.

I'm very interested in the Carvin AC40 as it's mostly like the Godin (piezo-only) but has an upper body horn.

I love this bass!

(heartbeat back to normal)

I have to agree with everything that's been said about the Jack Casady; its tone is beautiful. You really have to play one to understand how good it sounds. I'd love to try a Reverend and that Lakland. ;)

That Yamaha BEX looks good, I have to admit.