Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hollow-body basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mainsale, Jul 30, 2000.

1. mainsale

mainsale

Apr 20, 2000
    I have a Hofner Beatle bass and a Guild Starfire II bass, as well as other solid body basses. Hollow bodies work better for me, and produce a richer, fuller bass tone. I want to add more hollowbody's to my collection, and would like your recomendations.

2. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I have the Casady bass and love it.Epi has a couple others worth looking at.If you have a pile of money,Lakland has a new one now or soon to be released.Theres a post of misc NAMM pics at the FDP showing some others that are coming out.Yamaha,Arai,Etc.Seems like theres a good bit of renewed interest in these.With GOOD reason!

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Look for a Guild M-85 Bluesbird bass. It's much smaller than the full-bodied versions, and is a lot of fun to play. It looks a lot like a Les Paul (I posted a pic in the Show Us Your Bass topic). I know there's one up on Ebay for about $400 right now.

4. Interesting post.....my wife's been at me to get myself a Hofner Beatle bass. Have any of you hollow players (oops, the basses, not you guys) experienced feedback problems? As a guitarist, I often encountered unmusical feedback when playing a Gibson 335 at volume.....and are there any other downsides you can recall? I'm actually thinking about a fretless Hofner; I think the violin shape of the body would look really cool with a fretless neck.

Cheers

John