hollow body electrics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arench, Dec 28, 2000.

1. arench

Dec 28, 2000
    I'm a big fan of the 50's/60's hollow body basses like the Gibson EB-2 or the Hofner 500/5 President.
    The only downfall is that these are pretty pricey and hard to find.

I noticed that Epiphone makes a bass called the Rivoli that seems like a remake of the EB-2, even with the bass boost switch. The price is pretty reasonable- under $1000.

I was wondering if anyone had some feedback on the quality of these Epiphone Rivoli's.
  2. The Rivoli is actually a reissue of another bass - The Epiphone Rivoli ! The EB-2 and the Rivoli were essentially the same bass though except one said "Gibson" on it and one said "Epiphone". In the old days, both were US made. Sort of like a Dodge/Plymouth sort of thing.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    As far as hollow bodies go, one of the perennial favorites on this board is the Epiphone Jack Casady. It's similar to the Rivoli in terms of shape, but has a gold finish and different electronics. It's fairly well made and has a very distinctive tone; for around $500, you couldn't do much better.
  4. arench

Dec 28, 2000
    Thanks for the info, Rob W.

Where are the Epiphones of today made?
    Are they decent quality?
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Epiphones are made in Korea, and are of good quality fit & finish wise. The problem with a lot of Korean instruments is the electronics are usually not very good, but from what I have heard that is not a problem with the Jack Casady model.

He supposedly plays a model that has the exact same pickup and electronics as the one available in stores.
  6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm real happy with my Casady.
    There's one passive pickup, but it has 3 "taps" (position #3 is NASTY).
    Besides gold-flake, it comes in Sunburst, Black, and (rare) Natural.
    I've got the burst, but the Black is sweet lookin'. BNW had one for sale a while back.
    The neck's between a P and a J for width. Aside from the frets :p , it's got a good feel.
    I tried GHS Precision Flats, but am now using TI JF344's on it.

The Rivoli is "short" scale (30 inches) whereas the Casady is "long" scale (34 inches).

Santa got me a Dean Rhapsody HBF. It's a fretless, semi-acoustic with one EMG-HZ pickup.
    It's VERY cheap, so I wasn't expectin' a Lakland s/a.
    I'm gonna' swap out the roundwounds that came on it (why do they ALWAYS do this ?!?) and
    give it a workout over the weekend.
  7. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I also have the Casady bass and ill never part with it.Superb tones!Plays real nice and the workmanship/finnish are great.The sunburst and ebony finnish's have been discontinued.You can only get them in metallic gold these days.In person this color looks MUCH better than it does in some pics ive seen.Which i have and it looks real nice.I had some correspondance with ole Jack himself.His personal basses are exactly the same as you and i can buy.Not a ringer.Only difference is he uses Dean Markley Blue Steels as opposed to the stock Epi strings.If your considering a new bass,give one a try.I think youll be impressed.Good luck!

8. notduane: what is the semi-hollow Dean like? I've seen them advertised, they look mighty nice. And the price ain't too bad either!
  9. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  10. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I ain't had a chance to give it a playability or overall sound evaluation (yet).
    First, I gotta' swap out them rounds for some flats or tapes.
    I'm still puzzlin' over what exactly the fretboard is. All the descriptions say ebony.
    There are 24 fret "lines" and the board extends slightly over the end of the neck.
    Peekin' underneath the extension, I coulda' swore I saw what looked like maple.
    Is the board covered in shrink-wrap? It's shiny and looks like a Pedulla's.

The bridge/tailpiece is of medium heft. The saddles are kinda' slim.
    There are no individual saddle height adjustments. Just two bridge screws/anchors for "tilt".

More, later...
  11. arench

Dec 28, 2000
    Another question...
    Have any of you had issues with the feedbacking and hollowbody basses?
  12. i have a rivoli 2 and i love it, it is good use of $500
    and yes i can get it to feed back