1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hollow Body Help?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JW55, May 18, 2011.

1. JW55

JW55

May 18, 2011
    Hey everyone.This is my first time on talkbass & I am sure I'm gonna make a few people upset but here goes...I have a Dean sylist hollowbody.I LOVE the look and feel of the bass but I HATE the sound! I always play a P bass at gigs because the Dean is just too muddy.I really want to get this bass to where I am happy playing it out.Any suggestions on pickups or other mods (maybe a sound post?) would be greatly appreciated.

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    What sort of pickups are in it now? Pictures would be helpful.

I generally recommend Nordstrand pickups... They sound great, and they are well engineered. Love the big splits and big singles. I bet big singles would add a ton of clarity.

3. JW55

JW55

May 18, 2011
    They're the stock pickups.Look like a pair of big humbuckers(2 3/4 x 1 1/2) but they have solid covers over them so you can't really see 'em.I've read that they're 6 pole!Would you recommend a specific pickup?

4. JW55

JW55

May 18, 2011
    Here (hopefully) is a picture of the bass.Went to Nordstrand's sit and didn't see any pickups in this style.

Attached Files:

• dean.
      dean.jpg
      File size:
      114.2 KB
      Views: