hollow bodys

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by retitled, Aug 19, 2005.

1. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    im looking for a hollow body bass...

they are pretty cool and i can jam with them whereever with out the need of an amp and still hear some tone... anyway...

i was looking on ebay for hollow bodies and i came across this washburn...

now my questions are... can i still get electric sounds out of them and not to hollow sounding while im pluged into an amp and reading through the pick ups and can i mix the hollow sound with teh electric sound

and also.. what can u guys tell me about washburns... i was looking at the Washburn AB95 Hollow Body 5 String

and a Jay Turser Hollow Body off of ebay it has a very nice price for my current financial status...

any help please? :)
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Do you mean an acoustic bass??
  3. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    no i mean a semi hollow..

like this...

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

For my personel taste i would go for one of the older Japenese hollow violin basses and hot rod it but if you a more traditional hollow body the Epiphone Jack Casady is great and i have heard good things about the Lakland Hollowbody as well.
  5. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Does that bridge appear to intonated backwards?
    I have 7 hollowbody electric basses so I will try to answer your questions, if I understand them correctly. The acoustic "unplugged" volume of these basses is not as loud as say an acoustic bass guitar, the bodies are not deep enuff to project the necessary sound waves, but they are plenty loud for practicing alone. For example, you would not be able to hear the bass if you were playing along with an acoustic guitar player, he would drown you out.
    And as far as the plugged sound goes, and being able blend sounds, this type of bass doesn't have an acoustic transducer like most acoustic bass guitars, the output is only the magnetic pickups, and the hollow body does affect the tone/sustain. It will not sound like a solid body bass, nor will it have the solidbody's sustain. It's all down to physics.
    I would also check out a very similar thread to yours currently on the board.
  6. no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI

that is all I can say...