1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hollow replacement P-Bass Body?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by X Wolf, Apr 27, 2006.

1. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Does anyone know of a replacement Hollow P-Bass body? Looking for one as hollow as possible, for a fretless project that I have in mind.

George

2. Stewart-MacDonald(stewmac.com)does one, IIRC. BTW, I'm considering going sem-hollow on my next fretless; what's your aim, if you don't mind my asking?

3. Warmoth does a hollow J body. You could get them to rout it for P pickups instead of J.

Or try USACG maybe...

4. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Bassteban,

Thanks for the stewmac suggestion, I'll check it out! I like the P-Bass shape for comfort and I like the Jazz neck original dimensions which are "C" shaped with a 1.52" nut and a 7.25" radius. I'd also like a really smooth black fretless ebony board with no lines, so I am hopefully going to mate a neck like this with a hollow P-Bass body. For electronics I was thinking of using a Lindy Fralin "P" with an aluminum Type A Hipshot Piezo bridge with possibly a Highlander built in pre-amp. I'm still in the exploratory/research stage so things will probably change as I go along.

George

5. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Thank you for the response! I really prefer the "P" shape over the "J" for comfort, just a personal preference.

George

6. After reading the responses to this thread, it seemed to me that it was actually Warmoth that offered the hollow body option, although I couldn't find it mentioned on their website. Couldn't hurt to ask.
    :)
    BTW, I don't think I was very clear(happens all the time:rolleyes: ) w/regard to my question(your aim). What I meant was, what specifically are you trying to achieve w/the hollow body- for instance, a certain tone, or lighter weight?
    Your specs sound cool- I also like unlined fretless, though very subtle lines are nice too. I have a 7 w/dark red bubinga lines on a dark brown Maccassar ebony fingerboard- very nice, & nearly invisible.

7. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Bassteban,

Thank You for the response and sorry, I should have included why I like these specs. All of my basses are either Chambered or Hollow as I just prefer their warm but open/airy tone. I play sitting down due to some musculoskeletal problems so weight and body shape are definitely issues with me as well. By the way, the Highlander pre I was referring to has a blend circuit so that you can balance the magnetics with the piezos. Also, the darker fret lines you mentioned sound like a really nice option.

Thanks again, George

8. I like a nice light bass myself- my(chambered Stambaugh)6 is lighter than my Fender 5. The pictured 7 is lined(bubinga on mac ebony; sometimes I can't see them:rolleyes: ). I have a much better in-progress pic somewhere; if/when I find it I'll post it here.