Hollowbodies to check out

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheMightyQuinn, Feb 6, 2006.

1. TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    I love the sound of hollowbody basses. I tried an Ibanez Artcore yesterday along with some other nameless hollowbody and really dug the tone on both of them. Unfortunately I didn't think either of them were that versatile.

The thing is, I want something passive (or at least able to bypass the pre). I'm not looking for a ton of versatility, but enough to get me by. I'm thinking along the lines of a Gretsch (I'm totally cool with shortscales) but would like to know what you guys suggest so I can go and try/research some more stuff.

Any help would be appreciated!
  2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Jack Cassaday bass by Epiphone

Greg Bennet Sammick Royalle

Lakland Skyline Hollowbody

Try these 3 basses. They go for around 700,500 and 1200 respectively, and are all solid, good sounding well put together basses. I have no experience with the Grestch but while I think it would sound good, I doubt it would be more versatile than the basses I listed, also it would be rather expensive.

More to consider... A hollowbody will never be as versatile as a solidbody because of the "hollow" nature of the instrument. Because of this, a hollowbody is generally considered a good second instrument, but the three listed basses might bring you more versatility. Also, putting a pre (bypassable if you want) into an ibanez (which is passive) would bring more versatility.
  3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Absolutely make sure you try the Lakland Hollowbody (with Dark Stars, if possible). I played one at Jive Sound, and I loved it. If I ever went for a Hollowbody, it would be that one for sure.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Epiphone Jack Casady and Lakland Hollowbody.
  5. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I love my Casady-- and so does the band. It sits just right in the kind of music we are playing now. It has a serious old school vibe that I really like. With it and my amp dialed in, I can get that slightly overdriven sound (when I dig in anyway) that just kills.
  6. mondogarage

Nov 29, 2005
    Longmont, CO
    I can highly recommend the Italia Maranello...not much time to post, but check out www.italiaguitars.com.

It's full length scale, agathis, way purty pearloid all over, twin humbuckers, records well, and can be had for around $500. They're not the easist to find, but short of a true vintage EB-2, probably the neated hollowbody I've ever come across, and again, it's full scale length.