Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hollowbody and Semihollow basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, May 4, 2001.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have thought about getting a hollow body or semihollow body bass for fun and more jazz, blues style playing. I have been looking around at basses like the DeArmond Starfire and old Univox/Guild/etc. hollowbodies on ebay.

Let me know you opinions on these and what you think of them.

-KB

2. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    The DA Starfire has been discontinued.MF was blowing them out awhile back for 299.Great deal!I have the Epi Casady bass which is one of the best sounding bass's goin.Be sure you give one a try!!!!Ive no experience with the other you mentioned.Good luck!

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I will second the opinion on the Jack Casady Signature Bass. It is one of the finest basses (semi-hollow or not) out there. Don't be mislead by the Epiphone moniker...this bass really kicks. I have tried several other semi-hollows and the Casady beats them all, with the exception of the Azola Jazzman and Turner Renaissance, which are both different beasts altogether....
    Max

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Before I managed to snag one of the blowout DeArmond Starfires at MF, I looked at the various Epis. I'll stick with the Starfire - the fit and finish on all the ones I saw was better than on most (not all) of the Epiphones. There was a Rivoli II I saw that was great, though.

Starfires pop up on eBay, but I don't think I'd buy one sight unseen.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I had a great hollow called a Bruno Conqueror. It had a wooden bridge and flat wound strings and about an in and a half action. I learned to play on it. I wish I kept it. There are lots of similar hollows down in NYC at Manny's etc. If I had it now, I'd know how to adjust it to play better.

6. Just to back up Bernie and MaxV, the Epi Jack Casady has to be played to be appreciated. I'm still amazed by two things:

1) That so many people either overlook or don't consider this bass.

2) That Epiphone hasn't tried to market this winner of an instrument more intelligently after all the good things that have been said here, and I'm sure among bass players all across the Country.

Mike J.

7. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    hi all.
    i really dig the de armond starfire bass.
    if I had known about the MF starfire blowout, i totally would've picked one up.
    i see one on ebay right now, but the reserve hasn't been met.

i'm a relatively big guy (6'8"), are short scale basses really drastically
    shorter than a regular sized bass?
    thanks.

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yes that is me with the highest bid on it, but they have the reserve set to high for it for my tastes (I have a fairly high max bid). I am still looking around for a hollowbody. I have found some on-line vendors that still have starfires (that I am considering) and new Rivoli II and Jack casady basses are still available at MF (just to much $ for me, for a bass that is not my primary)

-KB

9. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Thats one more plus for the Casady bass.Its a 34" scale.Much better tension on the strings and of course it helps the sound.Good luck!

10. jbass27

jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I haven't had a chance to play the Casady, but I will say that Reverend makes some pretty cool stuff, and is not too expensive for a US made bass. I prefer the XL 4 or 5L, they have an almost Stingray vibe to them, as far as sounds, except that they are hollow. The standard 4 was more like a jazz bass that was hollow.

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    RELATIVELY????? Relative to what? You could probably play tunes on high tension wires.

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Relative to the average NBA player, apparently. :) Hey, I'm 6'5", I feel yer pain.

13. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    haha!
    us big guys have to stick together!

yeah 6'8" is big. it's hard to find a hollowbody/semihollowbody
    bass that feels comfortable.
    i wish i was a foot shorter so a Rivoli bass would look normal in my hands.
    "Rochester Big and Tall" should produce it's own line of "big and tall guitars"
    lol