Hollowbody Bass Suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jawbone, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Jawbone

Jawbone

Jul 15, 2010
    Humboldt County
    There's one bass I've always been dying for but haven't wanted to trade or sell one of my other basses to get, the hollowbody.
    The hollowbody for some reason or another has always intrigued me, but I know it has a special place in music and a lot of time is limited when it comes to a full time gig.

I've been looking at the Gretsch Broadkaster (since I can't afford the White Falcon) and the only one I've seen is the one Jack Lawerence plays. Is this a good place to start? I know there's epis and trivoilis - the problem is no one I jam with has one and there's very few few sale or in stores.

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Also check out the Epiphone Jack Cassidy model. Semi-hollow. Gorgeous tone.

3. MJT

MJT

Feb 24, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    I've had Gretsch (2), DiPinto, Guild Starfire RI, Lakland.
    First decision - long scale (34) or short scale. Body size and related comfort vary as well.
    Gotta check out neck dive, too. And, of course, cosmetics.
    I personally could not get used to a short scale - that left (for me) the DiPinto and the Lakland. Loved the DiPinto tone but ultimately found that the Lakland HB was the best for me - looks, quality, tone and tone options. Check out the playing / sound samples on their website.
    I'm a precision guy (vs. jazz) and I've found the HB can do the P thump but a HB also has more resonance. Given I mostly gig with blues and british invasion stuff, a good HB can and does meet those needs.
    They are sexy and I love the tone - good luck in your search.

4. Jawbone

Jawbone

Jul 15, 2010
    Humboldt County
    Nobody into hollow bodies - ok, no problem. Explain to me then why is there such a premium for bass HB vs guitar HB? Is it a supply and demand thing? They have to be similar in construction and manufacturing.

5. Lakland make a GREAT Hollowbody - Really versatile bass..

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Not all HB basses are more expensive than their guitar counterparts. And some of those HB guitars can be very pricey.

There are some good suggestions, but nobody's suggested violin basses yet. I've tried the Broadkaster, and while it's a good bass, it's not exactly what I look for in a hollowbody. It's a semihollow, and I greatly prefer true hollowbodies. And there are a lot of violin basses, especially cheap ones, that are true hollow.

7. not into hollowbodies? au contraire!

here are photos of two of the hollowbodies that my son is currently playing. one is a jack casady which i have modded to all black config. the other is a (approximately) 1967 vox cougar that my friend dan modded by having hagstrom pick up's installed. love 'em both.

JackCasadyII.png

SDC10569.jpg

he currently is also playing a hagstrom concord that also (obviously) has hagstrom pick ups.

we are very into hollow bodies at our house.

davesignatureII.gif

8. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Aug 8, 2010
    Portugal
    If I had the money I would definitely go for a Gretsch but more affordable are Eastwoods which are also neat!

9. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I have an epi viola, its a very warm sounding bass and easy to really jam on (short scale). They are however a bit temperamental to keep in tune.

10. yamark

yamark

Jun 6, 2009
    Lancaster, KY
    I love my Eastwood classic 4. Didn't like the Casady, it felt cheap.

outoftune likes this.
  11. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    After checking Epis Jack Casady, Ibanez AGBs, Höfner 500, Gretsch Falcon and Lakland HB (US+Skyline) I bought the Lakland Skyline. The Lakland Skyline was just slightly different from the US model, which you will only recognize by direct A/B test. Nothing which would justify 3x the price tag. The Lakland tone - mine came with Bartolini PUs - beat the other brands by far imho. Couldn't check it out with Darkstar PUs, which might be an improvement. But I don't miss anything and am happy with the Sound of the Bartolinis. The single coil/HB switch is a very useful feature.

12. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
  13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    pretty intrigued by the hollow body idea too, sort of into an early jamc or later marilyn manson sound i guess

14. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
  15. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    How ARE the Eastwoods overall?
    Also, are there feedback issues as with a full hollowbody?
    Thanks!

16. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
  17. alexbassman

alexbassman

Aug 5, 2011
    *Cough Hofner *Coughcough

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

One of the best sounding hollowbodies made right now. :cool:

19. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Proudly Supporting Moody Leathers
    Every now and then a Rivoli comes up for sale... for me, I'm still loving my old EA-260... haven't played a Casady, but I'm not ruling them out. Now, if you got some coin... check out a Gibson LP Sign bass. Yum...

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021