Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hollowbody Basses (???)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Just wondering what (if any) are the advantages/disadvantages of hollowbody basses. Thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Advantages:

Light
    Fat bassy tone

Disadvantages:

Prone to feedback at high volumes
    Fat bassy tone

3. feedback eh? That's what I was affraid of. I have never played a hollobody bass but I have played acoustic guitars live with a mic or a soundhole pickup and the feedback can be beyond horrible. Sounded like 50 cats getting their tails pulled at the same time, amplified through a Marshall stack!!

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Depending on the bass builder you could get some really earthy natural bass tones and response with a good amount of weight reduction.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well, to be fair, I have heard many a bassist use hollowbodies at relatively high volumes, and it really isn't a huge issue as long as you learn how to control it, like don't blast your bass through monitors, don't stand right up against the amp facing it, and don't overload the EQ with grossly boosted frequencies. Flat is your friend with a hollowbody.

6. I had a Godin Acousticaster Bass that I loved, but ended up taking back due to feedback. My guitarist's favourite line for the next several years for ANYTHING that acted up was "Lets stuff it".

- Andrew

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I've got a Casady and totally dig it. It is warm, and fat, and bassy. I've only gotten feedback when standing in front of and facing the amp. It's my #1 player these days.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah their awesome, it was my main bass for a whille as well. :bassist: