1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hollowbody tailpiece repair (see pics)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brio, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    I have a Hofner Verythin that wasn't in great condition when I got it and have been slowly making upgrades here and there. The previous owner converted to the longer tailpiece (which I think allows for a better variety of string choices) and did a hack job on the install (pic below). I'm reverting to a short tailpiece that I recently picked up as I was having trouble stringing the longer one with LaBella Low Tension Flats.

What's the best way to go about repairing the previous holes and ensuring a solid install for the new tailpiece?

IMG_6131.JPG

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    After you break the guy's legs that did that; I don't know. Someone else can give constructive advice I hope.

Brio likes this.
  3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Drilling those...holes... out; gluing in hardwood dowels; and drilling good pilot holes, maybe? How thick is the body back there at the heel? Is there a block back there for the tailpiece to screw into - like my Gretsch has? You definitely have my sympathy... and yes, the guy who did that needs to feel some instant Karmic pain...:rollno:

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Wood plugs, hard epoxy, and paint touchup. And maybe look at adding an internal reinforcement cleat at the point where you are attaching the new tailpiece.