holloween gigs w/ costumes

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by eots, Oct 12, 2005.

1. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    So the new band I'm in is doing my 1st stint with them on Oct.29th at the guitarists house (where we practice) and wants all to come 'dresses up'. I recently was in Springfield IL., (land of lincoln) and came across an Abe Lincoln mask and top hat I thought might fit the bill as I'm not into spooky goblins or death and horror. I think the hat will be falling off unless I bobbie pin it up there and am concerned about being able to see out while playing should the mask move out of position :oops:
    Anyone have mishaps with this sort of gig?
  2. Playing in costumes isn't that hard provided you practice in them first and understand what if any physical limitations they cause.

I'm in a KISS trib band. It's a very different physical dynamic when I'm in costume than when I'm in street clothes. And if you aren't used to it, it will throw you off and distract you.
  3. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    a KISS tribute band must be crazy. I'm considering costumes for my band's gig on the 22nd. Think that's too early for it?
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Too funny...

I was Abraham Lincoln a for a Halloween gig a couple of years ago. The hat is an issue. I suggest a hair pin if you don't want to constantly have to readjust it or owrry about it falling off. I don't naturally have a beard, so the fake one was itchy and uncomfortable. It also got in the way of singing.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am going as a pull toy this year. Wearing nothing but a pair of rollerskates. :D
  6. It's a pretty insane production honestly. Five roadies and a makeup chick and it still takes hours. But anyway.....

Not too early if you are going somewhere where people in the audience might be wearing costumes, otherwise they might think it is your regular look!
  7. I'm dressing up as a bass player this year. Maybe for once it'll be convincing.

8. unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    My band dressed up as the "Village People" one year and had too many requests for "YMCA"
  9. My band once did a gig as the murderdolls, boy was that a hoot.
  10. DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    My band one year did a Wizard of oz theme and I was the Tin Man. That was challenging to play that night!
    Another year, our guitar player was a giant box of Kraft mac& cheese. I didn't envy him struggling to play that night. It's always fun though.
  11. Slightly off topic but a few years back Fear Factory played Brixton Academy on Halloween, me and a few friends went in Misfits-style ghoul garb.
    As this is not too common over here, even on Halloween, you can imagine the disapproving looks and jeers we recieved while queing to get in.
    AND THEN after endless waiting, on come Fear Factory, themselves done out like the Misfits. :D

Cue much smugness and imagined camaraderie with the band.

Blinder of a gig as well. The DOG's BOLLOCKS indeed.
  12. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Years ago.....

We were playing a Halloween show that the band was supposed to dress in costume for. Day of the show rolls around and I still didn't have a costume. Luckily, on the way to a class at OU, I found a name badge in the parking lot that read "William Scott Gregory - EMT Student". Blammo, crisis averted. I popped on the name badge and when people claimed that I wasn't in costume, I would point at it and tell them I was dressed as William Scott Gregory, EMT Student.
  13. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    The top hat really shouldn't give you any trouble at all.
  14. This year I'm going to be a Mariachi
  15. 311 on one of a many halloween gigs.

16. kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    Up in northern Wisconsin, the deer widows ball is a big thing on Thanksgiving weekend. The men are off hunting and the women go out and make a night of it.

Chippendales male strippers make a killing on that weekend.

Last year, our whole band dressed up as Chippendale strippers. Basically we all wore black pants, no shirt and bowties with a white collar. Even our female keyboard player got into the act by adding a bit more to the white collar.

We are all over 40 and none of us is in that good of shape. It was quite a sight. :eek: