1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hollowing neck of neck through.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Sep 25, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    i am doing a hollow body, and am wondering how i should go about hollowing the body center, as it is a neck through. i do not want to glue a top or back to the area, so i was hoping to go at it from the side before the wings go on.

2. i would first draw out the approximate area where you want to route out the body wings, be very careful not to take off too much otherwise you will lose structural integrity, keep the route about one inch to the edge(heel/horn to bridge). and go at it with a router (or a drill press). hope that helps
    good luck and be careful : )

3. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Honestly, Jordan, I wouldn't go that route. You want that part very stable, because it's going to take all of the string tension. I'd leave it solid, if I were you... hollowing if from the sides will just make it weaker, in my opinion.

4. +1 on that. Keep the neck solid its very important for structural integrity and sustain. The hollow wings will still make it awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing this one btw so I hope it comes out awesome.

5. i would cut the body blank in half, route it, then reglue.

routing from the side = bad idea.

6. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    I'm a little bit lost here. Whats the difference between routing/drilling from the side and cut the body in half, route it and reglue it??

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You'd never be able to rout deep enough.

I hollowed out a guitar once by cutting it in two up the middle (from the bottom strap pin to the neck socket) and then sawed the two halves open on my band saw, so I had a top and bottom half. Then I routed those and glued it all back together.

I wouldn't make a bass totally hollow if you intend on playing on stage at any volume. I used to have a Gibson EB-2 and it was a feedback machine! I couldn't play a note without getting a wolf tone.

There's a reason they started making solid body basses. ;)