Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hollywood/LA Music stores

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RSmith, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Hey all,
    My drummer and I are from San Diego and we want to go on a mini road trip north to check out the music stores in the Hollyweird and LA area. Anyone have any feedback on any stores we shouldn't miss? Also, what store stocks high-end basses?
    Thanks!

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Definitely go to the L.A. Guitar Center. They have a room just for basses. Also, they apparently have a vintage section which is insane.

Best of all, there's a Manny's Music and a Carvin factory store across the street, so you can kill three birds with one stone.

3. Thanks I know right where those stores are.

4. yeah, there is "guitar row" on sunset. as it's been already said - there are guitar center, mannys, sam ash, carvin, mesa boogie, and about 4 or 5 great vintage and used shops all on the same block. there is also another sam ash down the street a few blocks at sunset & cresent heights.

also be sure to check out black market music if you are interested in used/vintage and/or more obscure pieces of gear. it's located on la cienga just south of the santa monica/la cieniga intersection in west hollywood. it's like a treasure hunt!

5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    West LA Music on Santa Monica Blvd just west of the 405 is worth checking out. Although I was in there Saturday and it was Fender Fender Fender. They did have some cool guitars.

6. What about G&L does anyone know who carries them in that area?

7. the Guitar Center on Sunset does not have a great bass selection in my opinion.

The Sam Ash on Sunset has got a great selection. They've got high end Peaveys, Ken Smiths!, high end Ibanez (the bartolinis), and your average fenders...etc.

West L.A. Music is awesome as well.

8. From what I've seen of the stores around the row, Manny's has a pretty good selection of basses, including G&L and Rics. The Sam Ash is ok, too, though I don't think their bass selection is as nice as Manny's. You sure won't find G&Ls in the GC on that row. Even though it has a whole room dedicated to basses, that room is tiny. The only thing I find notable in there besides the usual Fenders is the Musicman basses.

But make sure to check out the smaller shops. You may find great deals or stuff you never imagined.

9. True Tone Music on Santa Monica Blvd. in Santa Monica carries G&L....they also carry Ashdown.

also, there is another location of West LA Music on the Cahuenga Pass in Universal City, just north of Hollywood.

10. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    As you head up the 405 you can veer off to Norm's. I have enjoyed that store when I go there.

http://www.normansrareguitars.com/

You guys in San Diego: is Buffalo Brothers worth the drive?

11. I have done a fair amount of business with Buffalo Bros. and I think they are great. Very fair! They stock G&L (I'm looking for a newer SB-2) and Fender basses mostly. They usually have a few odds and ends too. Prices are quite reasonable. Their website is pretty up tp date as far as inventory. On trades they offer 75% of what they will sell your trade for. Can't beat that. Only draw back is that you can not turn up when trying basses. I think this makes it hard to test drive tones, but other then that If you're down here by all means check it out.

Thanks for the heads up on LA stores. My drummer and I are gonna make a day of exploring the areas music stores, it should be fun!

Robert