1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Holy 3015 Batman!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Goodlawdy, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Goodlawdy

Goodlawdy

Mar 27, 2008
    Just a testimonial for those thinking about doing the same.

I decided to replace the speaker in my late 70's Kustom 1x15 cab with a 3015lf kappalite. I'm going to refurbish the cab including baffel soon. Just couldn't wait to hook this joker up! The cab is a really simple design. I think I may try to make another one it sounds so good!!!:hyper:

The cab already sounded good. I like it better than my Traveler 15, as it is punchier with better mids and highs, with no tweeter. Also, it matches my VB2 width wise. The interior dimensions (roughly) are 22 X 22 x 12.

While the 10 year old, re-coned eminence I had in it sounded good, it was could definitely fart :eek: when pushed.

The 3015 is tighter, handles low eq much better, and is waaaaaay faster response wise. I had the VB2 gain on 6 and master @ 7 and I didn't need or want to turn it up any louder. I'm a fender, flats, & classic tone guy.

The only thing I'm wondering about is if it's better to front mount the speaker. I had to rear mount it due to the existing baffel hole not being big enough.

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Which is it? - 3015 or 3015LF? At different times you say each.

3. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    It's a 3015LF, its in his post :)

I thought those were not good for stand alone bass due to the high end roll off being at a lower frequency then the 3015notLF...or does it work fine for those bassist's that use the flats, and classic tone (as the OP said he was)?

Thanks too for the post Goodlawdy, I'm thinking about getting 3015's (nonLF) for a Mesa RoadReady cab I picked up. Maybe I'll just get an LF and put a 6" driver in the top space...

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you don't use much over 1k/1.2khz an LF would work fine. But you'll probably want to do some corrective eq up top to avoid the monster spike in the upper mids that the 3015LF has.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    So is the 3015. It's like calling a Dodge Duster a Fury. After awhile people are going to be confused what the aich ee double toothpicks it is you are actually talking about. I guess he's saving his fingerstrokes for extra strength on the bass ; }

6. Goodlawdy

Goodlawdy

Mar 27, 2008
    Sorry for the delay. Had to put the bass & the laptop down and go back to work. It's the 3015 LF. And here I was thinking I'd read enough of fEarful thread to know which one was best!

Gone to play it some more and listen for any spikes. ;)

7. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    Haha, good point :)

I just kinda assumed...which is never good.

Now, this thread is making me look at my 2x15 and wish I could afford those 3015notLF's for it...sigh.

8. JazzbassArt

JazzbassArt

Dec 12, 2004
    Andover, MN
    Uh, that would be Plymouth Duster. Best to stick to off axis reports. :D

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Maybe a Dodge Dart? :confused:

10. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Ah yes, the Chrysler Duster with 483 small block, factory high-rise manifest and dual holly double axle pumper jets (ram-air conditioning).

11. JazzbassArt

JazzbassArt

Dec 12, 2004
    Andover, MN
    You mean like this?

Attached Files:

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Mine was a '63 Dart (like this one but in white), Slant 6 and pushbutton auto:

dodge-dart.

13. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I had this same 63, only in tan, with a 3sp on the tree!

14. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

65 Dart wago, 225 super slant six, 3sp auto. Loved it!!

15. Wow! That looks just like my first car (except mine was dark blue).
    1963 Dodge Dart with a pushbutton transmission on the dash board.

I installed an 8-track stereo and 6"x9" "Mindblower" speakers (with
    built-in power amplifiers) in the rear deck. That thing rocked! My
    current bass rig has nothing on that. It was a real party-mobile.
    Open the trunk and all the sound poured out -- instant party.

And the trunk had a well for the spare tire. I took out the tire and
    filled the well with ice and beer. Heh. Those were the days! :D

I bought the car for $200 in 1975. My parents said I couldn't have it;
    I bought it anyway. A coworker at a stereo store sold it to me and let
    me make four installment payments of $50 each. When my parents
    found out that I had the car (which I kept hidden around the corner
    from my house), they made me buy insurance (which was not required
    by law at the time). That cost me $800. Ooof!

16. AHA!! Ultimate gig wagon!!

17. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

That's when I had an Acoustic 370/301 setup, Rick 4001. Click into drive,13" tires, 90mph/---you're there!

18. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry to derail the Dart discussion (I had a buddy with one--cool car), but I'm wondering:

I have a smallish 15 cab (the bottom of a Fender Studio Bass combo) measuring, externally, 25"Wx23"Hx12"D. Not sure what's in there now, either a reconed EV or JBLK140 probably. Is this a suitable candidate for a 3015? From what I've read the 3015L would be overkill, plus I'd like to run it solo so the better mid response of the 3015 would be nice.

I play 4-string upright and electric. Thanks.

19. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It'd be tight. You might be happier with a deltalight possibly at that size. Looks to be about 2.5-2.6cf internal at a guess.

You might get an upper bass hump with the 3015 and it might not sound as good as it could.

20. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA

Thanks for the quick reply. I might have Don build me a 15/6 or one of the solo 15s that have been mentioned here.

Is the vintage speaker I've got now a good fit for my cab, or is that cab just too small to properly house any 15? Maybe I'm better off converting the cab to a 2X12 or a 12/6?

What configuration would you recommend for my cab?