Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Holy Bongo Batman!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheRagingSwede, Aug 20, 2005.

1. So I sauntered into the local guitar center today to find a bright red toilet seat hanging from the wall. I had never played a bongo before, and it called my name. Beneath it was an amp with two 4x10 cabinets eagerly awaiting to bust out some beats underneath it. I gave them both what they asked for.

I must say, playing the bongo gave me the worst case of GAS I think I've ever had. Seriously, the people around me were horrified by the horrendous odor. So now I burn for a 5 string in either carbon blue pearl or desert gold, moonstone pickguard and possibly a piezo pickup. If anyone has pictures of such a lovely instrument, PLEASE oh PLEASE post them for me.

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    [​IMG]

Not a fiver, but carbon blue pearl.

[​IMG]

Four banger in DG with some pickguard (Black Ice?) I can't remember now.

Welcome to the madness.

3. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ya know, those Bongos are seriously starting to grow on me. When I first saw them, I thought there was no way I could ever like them. But now, I am seriously considering picking up an HH 4 stringer. I got to play one briefly at GC down in the cities a few months ago, and thought the sound and playability (it was actually set up to my liking) was great.

And now that I am starting to like the looks............. ;)

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    *evil laughing noise here*

I'm not really one to say "I told you so".

Wait, yes I am.

6. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Yeh, nice Bass indeed, and it does look like a toilet seat ;)

One thing I didn't like about it was the dual low/high mid frequency control, which I couldn't get with, and the fact that the only thing making it so damn expensive is the electronics inside. I'd buy one if I liked the look of it though...very nice bass indeed.

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Hoo, that's one of the things most people talk about as being one of the best features. I don't think it's obvious how useful it is until you have it in a really loud live situation (meaning not a music store).

8. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

9. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I've caught the fever myself after playing a couple. They are tone MONSTERS!

10. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I would personally poop for an HS 4str fretless. I kinda like the lava pearl or candy apple red w/ white/pearloid pickguard...