Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Holy Cow - Alumabass deals!!!! ...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by captainpabst, Oct 28, 2001.

1. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
  2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    very cheap compared to Hartke......... who knows!!!!???

3. Never heard of them.

Probably a bad sign.

4. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    did you see how much they've been discounted?! i've got some serious G.A.S. going on - i want to buy all those cabs! i'm sure you could resell them and break even at some point...

5. I have seen those going on ebay for well over a year...and that's only as long as I personally have been looking. They've been around for a while, never heard one though. They look at least decent, up to carvin/hartke/insert other mid range brand here standards. Maybe worth looking into.

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
  7. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i've been looking for a 2x10 cab anyway - i was going to go for an acme low b2, but with these being so cheap, i think i'm gonna chance it. i'm also kind of thinking about the 2x15...that's a set of nutz. jeez - they're all so cheap! i could get the 2x15, the 4x10, and the 2x10 for the same money i paid for my henry 8x8! good lord somebody hold me back! hahaha! here's everyone's chance to have a wall of speakers behind them for not too much $$. :cool:

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    O.K. Guy's, cool the g.a.s. They suck.
    I had a freind that owned the 1-15". I tried it, it's worthless. They're out of buisness, when you blow it you're hosed and recone kits are unavailable.
    Real honky sounding. I've never heard a curvalinier cone speaker that was worth a sh*t for bass.
    IMHO, YMMV

10. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i emailed MF and asked them if they would have the cast frame 2x10t. they said no, that they're ALL out of stock and that they're ALL discontinued. so then i called them just to make sure. basically, they're getting SOME cabs on closeout. no 2x15, no cast 410t. but they will have the stamped 2x10 and 2x10t. they're so cheap...i figured i'd risk it so i ordered the 210t. it's only 200 bux! (retail is 1040 - just like an swr or eden) that's half the price of an acme low b2 (sure the acme may be better, but...), and way cheaper than any other 210 i might consider. i mean, c'mon, it's cheaper than carvin's 210, and i wouldn't even consider that!

anyway, i've been looking for a cab (smaller than my 8x8) for orchestra pit stuff and practice sessions (200 for the 210t is cheaper than a practice amp! and surely it'll sound better with my swr head). i'm hyped...i mean, i'm not expecting nirvana for 200 bux, but i'm sure it'll be fine. the only downfall i see at this point is that it's a 4 ohm cab. i wish it was 8. but oh well. i'll give a report when i get it...

if anybody else is looking for a brand new, halfway decent yet dirt cheap cab, call up MF and ask them about these...

11. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    just got off the phone with MF. turns out that the only two cabs they're actually going to get are the s210 (159.99) and s210t (199.99). here are the specs for the s210:

S210 -

Voice Coil Diameter: 2 X 2"

Magnet Weight: 2 X 40 oz.

System Impedance: 4 Ohm

Sensitivity: 98 db

Power Handling: 400 Watts
    RMS/800 watts program

Frequency Response:

45 Hz to 13 kHz

Dimensions:

H 15" X W 25.5" X D 16"

Weight: 50 lbs.

the s210t is the same, but high frequency extension is up to 19 kHz. i don't know where the x-over point is. buy one of each and you've got a 410t for $360. 2 ohms though - yikes :eek:. rock on.

12. 133kHz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now that is EAR PEIRCING!

:D

13. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    yeah i just fixed that. heheh.

check out the magnet weight! ;)

14. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
  15. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    AKKKKKK!!!!!! No tweeter attentuator!
    I'm sorry, but sometimes I would like to turn off the tweeter, and not have it all the way up for the rest of the time. If I decide to buy one of these (most likely not) then I'm getting one without a tweeter.

16. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i set the tweeter attenuator flat on my 8x8. sounds fine. to be honest, i can't tell much of a difference from cut to boost on the tweeter.

17. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    my s210t shipped today...i should have it in a day or two...will post a review right here...

18. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i haven't been able to play it yet (i've been at the PASIC convention). i should be able to check it out this weekend (after mid/all-state choir tryouts are over - i have to judge).

the construction looks fine to me - it weighs a shade over 50 pounds - that's about the same as an SWR Goliath Jr.
    the grill isn't flashy, but it's solid. no tweeter attenuator or speakon jacks, but the input plate on the back is at least nicer than a hartke. the carpet is as nice as that on my henry, if not nicer. it's an attractive looking cab - if it sounds as good as it looks, it'll definitely be a winner - especially for $199! :D

btw - i saw lalo davila's 'island wave' (i think that's the name of the group - it's a steel drum ensemble with bass and drums) at the PASIC convention, in the lobby of the convention center. the bass player's rig consisted of a sadowsky, an older GK 400rb, and an eden 1x10. it sounded great and the volume balanced perfectly. i guess we don't always need all the watts/speakers we think we do. ;)

19. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I would be a little careful when purchasing one of these cabs. I am somehwat of a advocate of you get what you pay for, and unless the product has a good reputation you may want to shy away from it. That $200.00 that you spend on one of these cabs could go towards a cab that you know you like and has a good reputation for quality and sound.

20. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i've finally had a chance to play thru this alumabass s210t for awhile at various volume levels. here's my take on it.

box construction - fine - as good as any. it only has one handle, and it's on one end (not the top), so you have to carry it like a suitcase, which isn't so bad - it weighs about 50 lbs. i didn't open the box up and look at the wiring, because i probably wouldn't have known if anything was shoddy or not anyway. it has rubber feet on the bottom and the non-handle side. the cab looks nice. ;)

components - two aluminum cone 10's and a 'bullet' tweeter. no tweeter attenuator. no speakon jacks, just two 1/4's wired in parallel. refer to a previous post in this thread for specs. note - it's a 4 ohm box.

portability - good. it's easy enuf to carry, even by the one handle on the side. easy to throw in the car. can stand it upright on the non-handle side to leave a small footprint.

sound - i'm running this cab off of my SWR Bass 750. the tone is very fast, clear, somewhat modern, accurate, and punchy. the low range is strong down to about a D; just a little less presence on the bottom few frets down to a completely usable and well defined low B. the lack of a tweeter attenuator doesn't bother me; i only noticed a little harshness when i cranked the treble on my bass all the way up. the mids were well defined - plenty of presence. i didn't have to tweek any knobs on my eq to get a great tone (i tweek every one for my henry 8x8...). i ended up boosting the bass 1/2 step and clicking on the turbo bass/transparency switches. but that's all. oh - the sensitivity rating is 98 db - significantly less than swr/eden. it still plays satisfyingly loud as far as i'm concerned, but i am running it with 750 watts.

this cab sounds great to my ears. i like the moderately warm, yet very defined/accurate/clear tone. slap/pop sounds great - the aluminum cones react quickly with a satisfying 'whump'. and like i said, the pops didn't sound harsh to me unless i turned up the treble on my bass all the way. how does it compare to swr or eden? well, i've never been a fan of swr 10's. eden xlt's sound artificially bassy so me. this cab sounds very balanced. it could be argued that it sounds less sophisticated than eden or another brand like that (which i don't believe), but then it could be argued that its tonal character is equally valid. there's always the 'you have to hear it for yourself' factor.

value - thru the roof. i paid 199.99 for this cab from MF. it's unbeatable. i'm considering buying another one of their cabs...i have a hard time ignoring great deals in case you haven't already noticed :D .

if anybody has any questions, email or PM me.