holy cow (bass whammy content)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by john turner, Jul 24, 2009.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, i've been looking around, thinking of unloading my bass whammy for a pitch factor + exp pedal, and these things obviously are going for a lot of dough these days.

it was apparently one of the best deal's i've ever gotten heh. :ninja:

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    A TBer apparently sold his for $800 last week.

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :eek:. why are they so expensive?

i got mine, without a walwart, for 80 bucks when guitar center came to town and took over the local atlanta 2-store chain. heh. almost didn't even buy it - was like "digitech -ew" but thought what the hay, looked solid.

no wonder when i loaned it to pacman he didn't give it back to me for like 4 years heh :D

4. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I don't quite follow. :confused:

You say you got a bass whammy for a good deal? And want to keep it?

edit: I'm a slow poster, 80$ is an awesome price for a bass whammy. :)

BTW, FWIW, as alternative for a bass whammy I would get an EHX HOG + expression pedal.
    Although that is a very fun pedal, though expensive.

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no, i was thinking of selling the bass whammy - i'm really interested in a pitchfactor, and i was contemplating replacing the BW with that.

still torn - i'll check out the hog.

6. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Rare item, big demand.
    edit: also, Justin Chancellor might have something to do with it.

It's like a low budget bad actingwork cultfilm. :)
    Not badmouthing the basswhammy with that metaphore. :)

7. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I have no experience with the Pitchfactor, so don't take my word on it.
    (Eventide makes awesome pedals I believe.)

I know the HOG and I would go for that one personally.
    The organ effects of the HOG are also cool. But for organ emulation I still preffer my original EHX POG.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i really only -need- harmonizing and whammy type stuff - i have the synth stuff pretty well covered with the rmc/axon/rolandjv1010.

that being said i'm not going to turn away a good pedal just cause it's redundant. i mean, look at my basses :D. :hyper:

9. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I figured that. :)

It's noticable that lately you spend a serious amount of time in the effects forum. (Much more than before, or am I wrong?)

I can't wait for your first post in the "post your pedalboard" thread.

10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    *waves hand*

I rock! :D Using this money for an Avatar 4x10/2x10 in Burgundy/Wheat grill! MmmmMMMmmm

Turner, do what I did. Flip the Bass whammy for 800$ and buy a Pitchfactor for 500$. Ooopps, profit!

The Bass whammy and Pitchfactor have a bit difference in tone but for the money...Pitchfactor wins.

Do yourself a favor and don't get the HOG. It's nothing compared to the PF.

11. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Jeez, this topic has been covered a million times already... people need to learn to use the search function! ;) :D

:bag:

But yeah, I think that the insanely high price is mainly due to the hype and the Tool fanboys, and I'm really not convinced that any pedal is worth $800.

12. Damn it, I sold mine two years ago for a little over $400. I can't believe that they've doubled even from that outrageous price.

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i've been camping here a lot lately. trying to plan my own private "operation overlord" at the moment.

have settled on a midi-murf next month, which put my murf jones on hold for a bit. thinking about getting the eventide pedals, but also torn between just getting an eclipse when i can rustle up the dough (have a nice available rack space just waiting for it :D ). then again, pedals are so cool.

combining 4 rack preamps, 2 rack effects units, 2 rack bass-synth units and 5 (And growing) pedals is t3h w1n.

14. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
  15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's what i'm thinking. but then again, maybe i should wait? i mean, eventually tool's going ascend to nirvana on stage or something, and by then, shoot, the whammy might buy me a benz. :bassist:

16. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I thought the same...but then...you'll have people that will find out about the Pitchfactor :D

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. that's true. hmm.

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what kind of pedal do you use with the pf?

19. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    exp pedal? Had the line6, felt awful. Got a 25k EB expression pedal. feels and works great!

20. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    They do have a slight difference in tone, but in my mind that's only a concern if you're a super Tool fan and HAVE to have that sound. Because honestly the PF sounds smoother and has a lot more options for "whammying".