1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Holy Cow Batman!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Ok so I might be letting a cat out of a bag....but In recent months i quit my job and am currently attending school...and will eventually go into business for myself..

While putting together my business plan...I have been researching every possible contingency....while doing this i have been in contact with several large and well known overseas builders/suppliers...

and I was aware that the wholesale price of some of these suppliers products were insanely cheap....but WOW i didn't realize how cheap...

I got quotes on complete and finished basses starting in the $24.00 dollar range on the low end to $68.00 dollars on the high end...and unfinished bodies made from Alder and Ash for as little as $10.00.......yes that is not a typo....

not to mention some of these companies offered an even bigger price break after 100 units

even built overseas...how can these companies produce a complete product including electronics, bodies, necks, paint, and hardware for this price? I'm flabbergasted!

2. TSkills

TSkills

Jul 1, 2009
    So...what companies are these again?

3. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    Cheap Labor
    Hourly wage is low
    Incredible amount of cheap resources
    No or little quality control
    Ability to produce for pennies on the dollar

4. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    there are several B2B global market places on the web for all kinds of products that are ridiculously cheap when you buy in bulk (>40 pieces or more for example)

5. while i took all these factors into account....it would seem the market price for lumber alone would dictate a higher price than what i have been quoted in the last week

I'm still astonished to the nth degree

6. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    did you see what i did there?

7. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact

Apr 19, 2007
    Acrostic for the win.

8. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    Slick

9. lol...cute

While there were many Chinese companies i was in contact with....there were also companies from Indonesia, Vietnam, and Korea who also gave me insane price quotes....at this point i begin to wonder how much actual cost is involved for certain American companies who are having their OEM products built and sourced overseas...

and it seems no wonder invovled why many people in today's economy are choosing foreign resourced products...

10. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    It's a completely different mindset than what we are used to, as well as cheap labor and materials.

I used to import stuff from Shanghai, I'd get it in 2 days after placing an order, before I even sent payment, in a packaged, finished state ready for sale for less than what the labeling here would cost. I've tried to manufacture in the States and always run into 'not large enough for us', 'have to wait', 'need cash upfront just to look at the design'.

Not hammering the US, our costs are much higher than 3rd world, but the overseas mindset is much more about getting it done and moving on than it is about getting rich.

Even when I could find manufacturers here to make stuff reasonably priced, they'd usually raise prices of second and third production runs instead of lowering with volume. Almost a 'we need to get a piece of the action too' type of mentality.

11. I imagine if you research some of the working conditions of the employees of the factory you are thinking about buying from, then I think you might know how they get by with low prices

12. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Debbie Downer

13. wah waaaahhhhh

[​IMG]

14. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Send me 10 of the high-level $68 basses, please. I'll work on them and donate them to the local high schools.

15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    "Getting rich"???

I pay more for one employee's health insurance per MONTH than one of those Asian workers make in salary per YEAR.

Everyone likes to take the side of the American worker as long as it doesn't cost them anything personally.

16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Talkbass hookup? I`ll take a tele bass please :D

17. Not really surprised to be honest.

18. Wait until the costs of tarriffs and shipping get tacked on

19. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yeah, it's pretty insane. You can have a neck through, 7 string ash/maple/walnut bass for 200.. And you can have whatever you please on written on the headstock. There have been some companies trying to sell these basses with their own brand name in Europe. For three times the price. Some of those scurvy dogs even tried selling them to americans for about a grand a piece..

But if a group of people team up and order them straight for the source with the original price, they're brilliant. I actually really liked one of their jazz guitars and I'm currently seriously thinking about getting a sixer from them and then starting the hunt for used electronics upgrades.

20. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    It's no wonder at all why lots of companies choose to buy products and materials overseas. What I would really like is an idea of how the suppliers for a particular bass brand treats and pays their workers, so I can avoid the abusive companies.

Computer controlled CNC routers, mechanized fretting machines, and automated spray finishers are used here and abroad - the difference would be in quality control and the quality of the materials used.