1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HOLY COW! ehx XO deluxe memory man coming to the USA!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RCCollins, Apr 13, 2009.

1. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    still no news on the memory boy, but check THIS out!

no word if the BBD IC's are vintage or not, but I assume they are current manufacture

2. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    And I shall reap the rewards of buying a big box DMM on the cheap:ninja:

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    The old one will probably sound better.

But The new one looks cool.

4. Lets just save ourselves a few months and 10 threads.

It will sound just like the original.

A large minority will claim that it doesn't but will not produce any clips to show the difference.

a few will claim nothing about the actual sound, but just say that it lacks some je ne sais quoi or 'mojo'.

Within a year, the originals will be back up to selling for more than the reissues

:D

5. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing!

6. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    ^^ :D

I wonder what the price will be?

I also wonder if malekko is ever going to release the 919, and if the two of these will be comparable.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Pfft. The original ones have soul.

8. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I have used one of the european XO DMMs and it sounded like... wait for it... a deluxe memory man. right down to the quirks.

Unlike the XO BMS, this is a case where I prefer the XO version

probably 250-300. closer to the high side

i doubt the 919 will be much like a memory man - did doesn't have a modulation section, does it?

I am hoping the more compact memory boy just gives up the preamp, which is kind of an antiquated feature IMO (it made the original DMM kind of a "tape delay sim")

9. I heard the old DMMs use essence of fireblood in the transistors. It's supposed to make it sound better.

10. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    actually i think it is leftover blood from the members of KISS contributed for the red ink in their 70s Marvel comic

11. Oh yeah, that was it. No idea how I got those mixed up. Gawd. :rolleyes:

12. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    dude YES. i'm glad they kept the original aesthetic, more or less. still looking slick and mean. my DMM is a beast to keep from feeding back as i use it for vocals, but no other analog delay has that warm metallic wash.

13. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    And I still won't sell mine!

I never use it (doesn't fit in my current sound) but it's an amazing pedal.

14. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I had a conversation with myself about this very pedal this morning; I was saying that EHX, one of the largest pedal manufacturers in the world, could do better than making six different Big Muffs, and build their own chips. I mean, I want the Memory Boy, the Polychorus, and DEM to stay analog for a long time.

That having been said, as cool as this news truly is, throughout the fourteen years I have been playing, I have rarely been thrilled by delay pedals. I kept trying to like them, but I couldn't. The Carbon Copy broke this trend, and for that, I am in its debt. The XO DMM, the Memory Boy, and all of these magical Malekko units have to be more than better than the Carbon Copy - they have to inspire me.

15. DyerWolf

DyerWolf

Jun 3, 2007
    Is there anything in particular about the Stereo MM w/ Hazarai that people don't like or makes them prefer the DMM?

16. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    analog vs. digital

17. One of these will be mine. If the price is right, that is...

18. "Cheap as chips!" (for the Brits...)

EDIT: Sorry for the junky posts. I'll stop now.

19. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    More like surface mount components versus larger sized radial and axial components

GOOD LUCK getting ANY XO pedal repaired by your average tech.

20. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    the deluxe/hazarai model is digital, and it's really its own thing. It doesn't even try to be a model of the classic deluxe memory man. Nor does it do any modelled self-oscillation. no chorus/vibrato (though it does have a modulated delay mode).

The Hazarai is a great delay, but I found the knobs a little too sensitive in some of the modes. Also, the hazarai switch isn't particulraly sturdy - mine broke off, it was a cheap pot (but promptly replaced by ehx)

nothing that compares to the "original" DMM in any way, frankly