1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HOLY COW! Phil Rizzuto dead -- RIP, Scooter, we'll miss you!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by soulgeezer, Aug 14, 2007.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Banned

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
    The Scooter, Phil Rizzuto, died today. I just heard it on the noon news. I don't know the details. Maybe if someone has a link to an obituary, they can post it.

I loved Phil -- I remember seeing him play in Old Timers games and listening to him as the voice of the Yankees as a kid growing up.

A lot of the younger TBers may not remember him. But, if you've ever heard the Meat Loaf song Paradise by the Dashboard Light, you've heard the Scooter -- He did the play-by-play in the middle section of the song.

Rest in peace, Scooter. You will be missed!

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I remember him most for the Money Store commercials.

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    LOL same here! I was a kid so I couldn't figure out how someone could sell money for more than it was worth. :D

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    RIP, Scooter

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Lines from Money Store commercials:
    "You can borrow up to fifty thousand dollars or more!" I think that means "any amount that isn't exactly $50,000." ;)

"Imagine what you could do with fifty thousand dollars. You could pay off all your debts!" Well, maybe all but one. ;)

I was always a fan of the Mets and not the Yankees, so I didn't listen much to Phil Rizzuto as a baseball broadcaster. I remember a radio interview with him once, though, I think it was on Larry King's show in the early 80s. Rizzuto said when he was a kid he used to listen to baseball games on the radio, and he was really puzzled once by a description of a hit at Fenway Park, a single off the left field wall. How can you hit only a single off the wall? Then the first time he saw the Big Green Monster (the left field wall) at Fenway, he knew.

6. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

Phil Rizzuto was a big part of my youth. I grew up watching Yankees games on WPIX, channel 11, and listening to the Scooter, Bill White and Frank Messer on the call. He was a true original in the booth, and as much a part of Yankees lore after his playing days as he was during them. And, who could forget "The Money Store"?!?
    RIP, Scooter.

7. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    [​IMG]

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    "You're cheating! Rizzuto's not a word! He's a baseball player!"

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Never heard of him, but RIP all the same.