Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Holy cow, those Music Man SUBs look mightily tasty!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Aug 4, 2003.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    http://www.mmbasscentral.com/sub.htm

Anyone ever played one? Do they sound as Stingray-like as they look? Also, does anyone happen to know whether Music Man is planning on making lefty/5-string SUBs? Thanks in advance.

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Anyone? :/

3. HighestGround

HighestGround

May 10, 2003
    Do a search, there have been a few topics on this subject..

4. I tried one the other day at my local GC and was not to pleased with it. It sounded ok, but I was not very crazy about the super plastic feeling from the neck or the body, and the metalic textured pick guard did not please me a whole lot. Other than that, it sounded reasonable, not 100% like a stingray, atleast by my ear. But for the money, it is a fairly good buy and I am sure they will be releasing a lefty model soon, if they haven't already. You may want to take at a look at some other 5 stringers in that price range, like Schecters.

5. As far as I know the SUB is only a 4 string bass.

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I think you gotta go Bongo if you want a 5. Or the SR5. But those cost alot more than a SUB

7. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I just played another with active electronics on Friday and then plugged in a SR5 afterwards and man, I was not impressed with the sound at all. Maybe it was a bad axe because when they first came out I could not tell the difference in tone from a SR4 and a SUB.

8. I have one for sale for 450.00 if anyone is interested,one month old.

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    sd..a sr4 is a different bass than a sr5..a sr5 is really a sterling......:D

steve