Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Holy Cow!!! Trey Gunn leaves Crimson!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    :eek: Wow! He left Fripp and company behind. I didn't see this coming at all. Here's what Trey has to say about it:

...an amazing journey"

November 21, 2003

All things must pass. And now, for me, life with King Crimson fulfills itself.

I am sending out this letter of thanks to all the people who have made the experience of being part of King Crimson such a powerful and vital one.

I am grateful to all the musicians who have I been able to share the stage, the creative process and the long bus rides with: Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Pat Mastelotto, Tony Levin and Bill Bruford. To be able to call these modular, glowing, rock solid, earth shaking and nimble characters my friends and allies has been a constant source of amazement to me.

I wish to acknowledge some of the other great bands that we were honored to the performance space with: Tool, Living Color and the infamous Pygmy Love Circus.

I send out a huge thank you to all the business partners that we have had: current management at DGM with David Singleton, Charlie Hewitt and Adrian Malloy; past management of Richard Chadwick at Opium Arts; and, lastly, all the record labels who have boldly moved our recordings into the field. Foremost among them: DGM, Pony Canyon, Virgin, Universal and Sanctuary.

But most importantly, I am grateful to all the audiences who have supported the work of this band while I have been part of it. People have come to us with open ears and enthusiasm to hear something new. And they have done so even when we were still testing the waters with untried material and ideas. A musician couldn’t ask for anything more.

------
    Earlier this year, at the inevitability of the closing of this phase of my musical life, I spent some time looking back. I thought back to the original aims I had as a young musician. And much to my surprise, I discovered that I have realized them. They were simply and elegantly stated to myself at the time: I want to play with the best musicians on the planet and make the most powerful and unusual music possible. I have done that. And done it with this band: King Crimson. And… I don’t need to just keep on doing it over and over again.

This path has taken ten years (not to mention the previous eight working with Robert Fripp in many other projects.) During my time with the band we have put out 17 CDs, 2 DVDs, and brought to the stage hundreds of performances. Here again, a musician couldn’t ask for more.

Musicians, in general, follow their instincts. Following my own, I have found myself constantly on the move. I have played so many different instruments, and even when I finally found my home on the touch-style string instruments, I still kept moving. From different string configurations to different tunings to different roles as a player. Rarely have I stayed anywhere longer then a year or two. It seems that once I have done something, then I have done it. And all that is left, then, is to drop it and move on to something else.

So as with my aims as a young player, it is now time to move on. To what, I can only partially articulate. And this isn’t the place, or time, for projecting the future. This is the place to say thank you.

So….

Thank you, all.

Trey Gunn
    Seattle

:eek:

KC is needing a bassist/touch stylist now. I am on my way to audition. See ya later!

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Daaaaang. I heard people saying earlier this year that Fripp was considering retiring but never heard anything else of it. Hmmm...

Thanks for the news.

brad cook

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    A year ago (before the Latest Peter Gabriel tour), Tony Levin went out on a short stint playing bass for Seal. That tour failed and Tony was out of work. He called his old buds in Crimson, and they said they didn't need him since Trey was filling the bass role. Tony was a tad miffed. I'm sure Levin will be the first call if Fripp doesn't decide to hang it up as well.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I sure am glad I got to see Crimson twice with him. :)

5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Amazing.

I didn't see this coming.

Trey was an admirable musician, IMO he fit the band as well as Levin did.

Best of luck to Gunn and Crimson....

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It will be exciting to see what happens next. I actually hope they DON'T bring back Tony Levin, but try yet another relatively unknown fellow with the right ambitions - like they did with Gunn and Mastelotto.

That said, it wouldn't exactly be a DISASTER if Crimson & Levin joined forces again... :)

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Would I like to see Levin come back into the fold? Absolutely. But knowing Fripp, it will most likely be some relativley unknown guy. That's probably for the best anyway....

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    They should DEFINITELY call up Trip Wamsley!

brad cook

9. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    That would be nice. Really nice.:D

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Maybe you could get them to start playing Dig Me again. ;)

brad cook

11. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul
    Just out of plain curiosity and maybe a little ignorance of me ; what is exactly wrong with Tony Levin in King Crimson or what was more right with Trey Gunn ??
    Because I have always combined Levin and Crimson together in my mind and thought he is the best fitting bassist to Crimson ,but to my surprise I realize that many of you fellow bassists dont think so ...what am I missing ?
    Please inform me.
    Thx

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I think that a lot of people think the same way you do. However, there's no denying that Trey Gunn was the guy to have playing for their more recent stuff.