1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Holy cow, who is the bassist for this band?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tupac, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    This is just mindblowing, makes YYZ almost sound like Smoke on the Water. And props to Tony Dickenson for enduring that. Who is this Symphony X guy and why haven't I heard of him before?

2. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    crazy chops!

3. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Mike Lepond. His name is one of the first things written in the description.

4. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Heck yeah, Symphony X is one of my favorite bands. They are touring the US here pretty soon as well.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I was always more of a Racer X fan with Juan Alderete.

6. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I prefer Brand X with Percy Jones.

7. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    I prefer X with John Doe

8. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    that guy is great

9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    King s X with Doug Pinnick or Generation X with Billy Idol also count ?

Back on topic, Lepond and the rest of the band are all superb players. IMO, technically speaking they´re in the same league than Dream Theater, altough I don´t like most of their stuff.

10. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I've got a few Symphony X cd's, I'm not such a big fan of the songs about dragons and wizards, etc, but the musicianship and skill is quite impressive.

11. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    Yes! What was I thinking... I prefer them :^}

12. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

After listening to that, I wanted to go out and destroy something with explosives while gritting my teeth and yelling YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I then listened to some James Taylor, and got back to normal.

13. I used to listen to this band all the time. Only ever listened to the first three albums, which had a different bassist. I might have to start jamming on their stuff again.

I was really big on songs like "Out of the Ashes".

14. monkeyking

monkeyking

Feb 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ^Settle down, Beavis.

I know the feeling and I'm sure a lot of the stuff I listened to years ago caused some gritting as well.

Impressive playing for sure! Not my cup o tea anymore, but I surely appreciate the technical chops.

15. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

LOL! Gotta love those vocals that sound like a zombie trying to talk while vomiting. Classic!