Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HOLY CR*P..........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Dec 11, 2005.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    As many of you know, I am a gear whore. A WHORE!! An honest-to-goodness, 8 dollar skanky whore when it comes to basses and bass gear. I have owned just about every high end bass out there that people talk about....seriously. Soooooo....check this out...
    So I go to meet a buddy of mine in Hollywood at (ick) the GC on Sunset....now, I am by NO MEANS interested in checking out/playing/buying a guitar from these people....I'm just there to get some strings, meet a friend, scope out some amps, etc. They have the standard fare on the wall and in the stands....jazzes, Warwicks, a couple of Pedullas, yadda yadda. He shows up with a Benavente I'm checking out, and I have my fretless Zon Sonus. We're like the 2 odd ducks in the store...competent musicians with really high end gear. I'm blowing through this really killer Aguilar solid-state combo, and I look up, and I hear the angels sing...the sky opens, and the light shines down on this bass on the wall...I look up, and what do my wandering eyes should appear? A....gasp............YAMAHA TRB 1005!!! :eek: Now, I'm not normally attracted to Yamahas...nothing wrong with them; just not my cup 'o joe. But this friggin' thing....WOW!! Natural finish, quilted maple top, oval-esque inlays on the board, 3 band pre, nice string spacing, and HAWT!! So, I reach up there, not even thinking about what was about to happen....I plug it in, and....BAM!!! It was AWESOME!!!! I could NOT believe what was coming out of the amp!! Super-punchy fingerstyle, a KILLER back pickup sound, ridiculous string response (with stock crappy strings!), and a very hot, versatile preamp. I promptly tackled the nearest sales guy, looked at the retail price, did the quick "A" mark math in my head (1/2 of retail), added 10%, and offered to buy it...he JUMPED out of his skin and said "SOLD"!! ATM card in hand, I paid, went and got some DR Low-Riders and split! I got home, did the requisite steel-wooling of the board (you never know who's had their grubby mitts on it!), GHS Guitar-Glossed it (a GREAT polish!), and oiled the board. New strings installed, and a good setup later, I have to honestly say that this is easily one of the finest basses I've EVER played, Foderas, Nordstrands, and Benaventes included....no kidding. I don't know how they got the fret leveling as perfect as they did, but it is the lowest buzz-free action of any 5 string I've played....simply amazing. Tone that is that worthy of passing down through the generations....Now for the crazy part...I paid....(drumroll, please...) 675.00!!!!! :eek:
    Near highway robbery for tone and playability like this!! Does anyone here have ANY experience with these new TRB 1005s??? Chime in...I'd love to hear if your experience was as positive as mine. Maybe I just got uber-lucky, in that I got one of the best of the batch?
    ....gab on!!

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Damn you Matt.......I was picking up some things in GC today and saw one of those. I made it out of there without picking it up but now I have to treck back and try it......Damn you to hell...... :scowl:

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I really should NOT be playing any basses this close to christmas. I need to buy other people stuff, not buying stuff for myself!

4. Dammit! With all this talk of Yamaha's, this review, and my new found interest in John Myung, it's almost like God is talking to me, trying to tell me something... It almost sounds like he's saying "Yamaha... TRB... 1006... Go to it..." I hate having these insane bouts of G.A.S!!!

-ryan-

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    After seeing that 5er today I thought about finding a 6 string version. Unfortunately I found a picture of one and the spacing is super tight. Oh well. 5 string with a high C I guess.

Matt, is the scale 35 or 34"?

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Dude, you know better! No pic, no bass! As far as TB's concerned, you don't own a Yammy! :spit: :bassist:

7. [​IMG]

I've been hearing way too many great things about those TRBs lately. And just when I thought I was gas free... :scowl:

:p

8. steve21

steve21 Banned

That's the GC I go to most of the time... and I woulda gone today if I didn't have a party to go to...

Do they have anymore? I'm interested in playing more higher end yammys.

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Does anyone know what the string spacing on the new TRB 1006 is? I was under the impression that it was narrower than the old TRBs but I'd be interested to know just how much, I'm hunting for my six string soulmate at the moment, a complete lack of used Peavey Cirrus 6ers is making me look around some more.

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lokire just posted a pic above. It looks to be 16mm. Not sure why they'd do that.