Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HOLY CRAP!!! 2X15!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Oct 23, 2004.

1. today i tried out a KUSTOM head, with a matching 2x15 cabinent. WOW is all i can say!

2x15s are the bomb! they were so loud, it almost hurt my stomach!!!!!!

i think i am going to save up for a 1x15/1x15 setup now!

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    hehehe....for the first two years i played bass, i used a 215 with a Hartke 3500 amp. it sounded awesome...still not sure why i got rid of it.

-Mike

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I've got 2x15 amp, wouldn't mind a slightly punchier amp, but i'll never get rid of it.

4. I too have experienced the 2x15 experience. In my case it was a Eden WT400 with a D-215XLT. Amazing. That was my dream sound. How was the whole Kustom setup?

5. GREAT, did i say it was LOUD!!!!! i never new a 2x15 cab would be so punchy and hurtfull, it had really good tone too.

6. What was the price? Possibility for a future rig for you Mr. Fenderbluesdude?

7. nah, it was like 50's retro looking kinda thing, like the seats you see in a diner.

im thinkin 2 yorkville 1x15s, and the xs800h head.

8. The 2x15 Experience :D

Are you Experienced?

hehe my 2x15 is pretty loud, but maybe the Mesa 400+ has somethign to do with this too...

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    A long time ago, I played with a guy who had an Acoustic 370 w 4x15! It was weird! You never knew exactly where the sound was coming from, but you felt it in your bones. And, with the black/white/blue colors, it looked wicked!

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I used a 2X15 Kustom cab for about fifteen years. It was a later model without the tuck and roll covering (though I had one of those too!). With my Lab Series L4, that cab thundered!

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Personally, I'm down to a Sunn head and a 2x10... if I can get away with it. And that cab was ridiculous to move(at least 300lbs), but we played outdoors alot back then and that cab filled all available space. Of course that was 30 years ago and I had a brand new (just barely used) back. Nowadays, I look at my Hartke 4.5xl (97lbs) and say " Its gonna take a lotta money to make me carry you anyplace".

12. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    are you talkin about the rig downtown greg? its at the chicago music store isnt it? if it is, everytime i walk by and see it in the window i think about how cool it looks.

13. My first rig was an Ampeg V4-B with a Peavey 2x15 cab...sold that for a Geddy Lee bass. Ended up buy 4x10+1x15 cabs (B5R), and used an Ampeg 4x10HLF (Pro III)...back to the 15's now, and I love them...great sound/tone...and they are plenty loud!

14. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I love my Trace 1524. Thunderous sound yet still punchy. It doesn't weigh a ton at 103 lbs. I can move it by myself with no problem. Now moving my rack is another story :D

I think alot of people don't even give an "old school" 2x15 cab a second look anymore. What a shame :( Its good to hear that you gave it a chance though.

15. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    My first gig rig was a mid 80's Marshall JCM800 Series system throwing through 4x15's. Yes 4. Damn loud enough for anywhere. Sold it years back and recently got with an elderly friend who had been a music dealer. In his garage I found two old, original Kustom stacks. One was a blue sparkle tuck and roll 4x12 with matching head. The other, an odd black 200 watt Tolex covered head with two 1x15 cabs. I played through the black head and one of the EV loaded 1x15's. Damn, I was floored with the 35 year old tone I was hearing. 15's are awesome..........

16. no ryan, it wasnt at chicago. it was at rainbow guitars, i love that place beacuse they have hi-end stuff and obviosly lo-end= KUSTOM 2x15 and matchingCAB.

but i dont think it would be to bad hauling around (two) 1x15 cabs. what do you think would be better

two yorkville 1x15 cabs and the yorkville 800watt head.

or

two yorkville 1x15 cabs and a pre/power setup.

each 1x15 cab can handle 300watts.

17. Oh, so this was an old one, not the new Groovebass Series?

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i played thru the big version of the peavey 2x15 for years - great cabinet

If you're serious about the 15s, check out the bag ends. Two samll cabs will give you the 2x15 vibe without killing yer back, and they'll fit in any car.

19. Similar to this one? They also were available in a silver, blue or red sparkly Naugahyde finish. Mine's the plain black.

For what it's worth, they're only 130 watts. But they seem to be LOUD, I agree.

20. no, its not the new series!

that picture is the setup i tried but the head was different the head said kustom like it says on the cab and it had to channels.