Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Holy Crap! An 810 combo?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  2. 390 Watts @ 4 ohm and 120lbs.??? I just don't know.
    There are combos and cabs around with less than half the weight, half the size, but twice the power.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Ashdown makes the Mark "King Combo" it's also an 8x10 :eek:

4. An 810 with stackable corners. For some reason that tickles my funny bone. :D

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

+1!

6. I honestly wouldn't want to lug a huge rig around that delivers that kind of wattage and weighs 120 lbs. My back just went out thinking of it :D

7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I think It's an onboard Power Amp only so you can add it to an existing rig.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah yes, but think of the bonus:

You're using an 810 combo.

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Guitarist: You ready for the coffee house gig? Don't bring your head and huge cabs, they would be overkill.

You: Yeah, I'll just bring a combo amp or something...

:D

10. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland

lol :D

11. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Well, think of it this way. What's 20 or so more pounds to an 8x10? Might as well do it to save some time and space. It's not like your back is going to be much better off with a normal 8x10 ;)

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't think it is the weight that people are poopooing, I think it is the fact that it is only a 390 watt amp. It is an Eden product, they should throw in a WT800 and REALLY make it worth it :D

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well I own the 410 speaker cab and it's rated at 450watts. So 8x 10's should be able to take 900W.

Having said that, these things are very efficient, which means they go loud. And the frequency response really cuts through nicely in a live situation. It's a very under-rated cab.

I think Eden messed up by naming their cheaper range "Nemisis". They should have called it the "Eden Workingman" or even the "Eden Nemisis" - anything that keeps the Eden name attached to it.

14. What's the point of an 810 combo amp? It's not you'll be able to sit on top of it now that the amp is built-in. Well, you could if you wanted to for some reason, but you'd need a step-latter, and it would be pretty hilarious to boot! :D

BTW, has anyone tried sitting on top of an 810?

15. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I've never done it, but it's not a bad gimmick for a show.

16. Exactly what I was thinkin' of...

The lights fade out, then all of sudden, a spot-light shines on you sittin on top of an 810 while you blast through a bass solo... The crowd instantly becomes mesmorized (Or perhaps they're just wonderin' why the hell is this idiot sittin' up so high :smug: ).

Or better yet, stand on of top it and stage dive! Ok, maybe that's not such a good idea... :D

17. Hmm, I find the idea a little ridiculous. Essentially, combos are around for convenience. Once combos get that heavy and that large, they kind of outlast their convenience. You could probably get a head with a 4x10 or 2x12 or something that's that powerful, and then some. Then again, it's pretty cool looking to have an 8x10. Some people definitely buy these things don't they?

18. Yeah, it looks cool, but eventually your back won't be lookin' so cool... :D

19. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    I like the idea.

The spakers are pretty effective so that means you don't have to power them wilth bazillion watts to get heard. Plus 8x10" can move some air.

No hassle with million trips from club to car asnd back. No hassle with broken or lost amp-cab cords. I like it. I only wonder why they don't sell roadies with it too.... :D