Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HOLY CRAP, did THAT take a long time!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Well. I got a new computer. I got a new M-Audio card (with some software), got a new graphics card AND a new hard drive. With the $55 I have, I'm gonna try to go out and get Star Wars Galaxies OR Star Wars battlefront. But, I got a new WI-Fi wireless card, and the signal strengh is a little sub-par. Is there anything I can do to make it go into the green? I tried poisitions, but all I can get is about 54%. And I need to go to RatShack to get some adapters for my new Maudio to my Beringher mixer.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    first off, try changing the channel in your router, sometimes that'll help, additionally, is this a desktop or a laptop, if a desktop, how is the 802.11 card oriented? vertically or horizontally? whichever way it's oriented, make sure the router's antenna is oriented the same way. Also, sometimes routers just don't work very well in certain locations, but they'll work perfectly well a couple feet from that location.

If none of those things work then,

Signal boosters are easy to come by, you might be able to get an external antenna for your card too, additionally, you could save some cash by getting a long ethernet cable and setting up the router closer to where you usually dwell. You can also get signal repeaters that increase coverage and strength.

Most of the antenna/booster/repeater solutions cost $$$, if you're really leet, you can build your own antenna or booster(cause essentially, an antenna is just a wire inside some plastic) I don't have any links off hand, but people use pringles cans to do it, and they call them cantennas

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    There are also antennas that you can build. Although some are very directional. I don't have the links handy but google something like wireless antenna. Also try pringle can antenna (I'm not kidding).

Also, try to place the access point higher than the wireless cards. Wireless works best down. For example, if you are in a house put the acess point upstairs.

4. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Yeh, if i was you, i would only use WI-FI if you are moving about. but if it is a desktop; it will be better in the long run, to use a cable. it is much better now, you can get cables the same colour as your carpet. it might also pay off to buy those little tidy things that you nail into walls that keep the cable behind and out of the way. Available from every DIY shop.

If you wish to stick with WI-FI, search around for PCMICA cards with an external antenna.
    Also, you can try and clear a route to the router. Try and move all big metal electrical appliances to the sides. i tried this and it helped me.

What WI-FI card do you have?

5. Not really sure. But I don't think a cable is an option, since we have the house in a wireless setup. But I shall try some of the suggestions WR.

Now, about those star wars games...

6. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I. Love. That. Game. Don't forget the $14.95 a month that it's gonna cost to keep playing tho :D

7. All I read from the title was 'CRAP!' and 'that took a long time'

hahahahha.

8. I might get it, and it COULD be worth it. But Starwars Battlefront costs $50, but is free to run multiplayer. Can you stop your account at anytime, or more likely in my case, once you run out of days to play the game, can you still start up the account with more money and keep your guy?

9. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, you pay in month blocks. You can end at any point. As far as keeping your character, there's no guarantees. I left the game for about six months and when I came back both of my characters were still active. The developers usually say about 3 months is how long they keep chars around.

If you want to be immersed in a game then SWG is the way to go, but if you want to play a first person shooter, then Battlefront is supposed to be awesome.

10. I really want a game that I KNOW I will play in 6 months, and it will be different. I won't play the same missions over and over. Do you have any other IM functions besides Y?

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    if you have any more signal problems with the wireless, let us know.

-Mike

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Exactly why I like the game.

I'm sorry?

13. Do you have any more Instant Messenger programs besides Yahoo? I would like to converse with you!

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  15. I shall head to staples this evening, and see if they have star wars galaxies. If not, I might pick up battlefront. Either way, no love lost (NAME THAT SONG!).

16. Well, I did NOT get either. So tomorrow I shall get it.

17. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Oh, right on. I can't understand you kids and your 1337 talking. I'll shoot you a PM on monday with more IM contact info. We can chat early part of this week :D

18. Ok. I got SWG. It's installing patchs as we speak for updates. Hopefully, after this, I should be PLAYING! WOO!

19. aw crap... I try to get on Tattonnie, but my game keeps going back to the start menu when it just says "Loading Objects". I know it's a long wait! But I wanna be on the planet surface! does this mean that there could be a large number of people and I can't get in the server?