Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Holy crap, EA is coming out with a 410 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, May 26, 2004.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    From the EA newsletter

The NM-410: The Ultimate 4 x 10
    EA is proud to announce the introduction of our first 4 x 10, the NM-410. The EA NM-410 represents
    the state of the art in speaker cabinet design. The design of a 4 x 10 presented some unique
    challenges for John Dong, EA’s cabinet designer. He wanted the volume that is associated with the 4
    x 10 and the sound quality and clarity that EA is renown for.
    More drivers mean more volume. More drivers also mean more interference between those drivers.
    This compromise, between volume and a truly focused sound was, until now, a reality of playing
    4x10 cabinets.
    The design goal of the NM-410 was to create a high power 4x10 cabinet that was loud and had a
    balanced and uniform sound at all points in the listening evironment. John was able to accomplish
    this through a number of ingenious designs. The NM-410 utilizes a side vented, “M” shaped Transmission
    Line, proprietarily designed Neodymium drivers, and exacting placement of the 4, 10”
    drivers to create a cabinet that is both extremely loud and presents a totally focused sound at any
    point in the listening environment. The side vented, “M” shaped Transmission Line vents adjacent to
    the side handles. The imported Poplar plywood and Neodymium speakers keep the NM-410, at a
    reasonable 77 pounds. The NM-410 is rated at 1000 watts, has a sensitivity of 103 db @ 1 meter and
    a stunning SPL of 133 db @ 1 meter. With all of the cutting edge design, technology and features
    such as its’ built in wheels, the NM-210 is truly the envy of the class.
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. I sure am glad we don't allow ads on this forum ;)

3. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I don't work for EA. Just passing along some info.

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Wow I wonder how much it will cost...probably $934857392487

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    77 lbs is pretty impressive. I bet it will be the most expensive 410 on the market.

6. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I must know of the price. If it's not too expensive... doubtful... I'd get two. If so, oh well... crap.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Must...

see...

photos!!!!

8. I don't know guys...I have given EA as many opportunities as I can. Maybe its just me, but I can't seem to 'get it'. I've played through their entire lineup from their inception...amps and cabinets. The ONLY piece of gear that I really thought had some promise was the CxL 112. Nice sounding box but you need (4) of them for moderate volumes! I ran the Iamp 800 with two; playing with a not-so-heavy-handed drummer, and it wasn't cuttin' it. I figured I'll run them w/ a Crown MT1200; maybe more jiuce would do the trick...better, but they farted out when pushed. I will invariably try a 410 from EA but, I'll be honest, I'm not expecting the moon and the stars.
    No offense to you guys that think the sun rises and sets on them...just an opinion from one of those that just doesn't 'get it'.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    can you say "Epifani"? ;)
    transmission line goooooooooooood. :bassist:

and Basically,

all good, i used to be like that. but my iAMP has, HALLELUJAH!!! made me a believer.

still, if you're used to using 3,000 watts onstage, then i doubt the 800 watt iAMP would od you any good. :meh:

10. and Basically,

all good, i used to be like that. but my iAMP has, HALLELUJAH!!! made me a believer.

still, if you're used to using 3,000 watts onstage, then i doubt the 800 watt iAMP would od you any good. :meh:[/QUOTE]

Joker,
    Did they do something to your amp to give it more 'umph'? Because, I phoned them up about their 800 watt claim. They assured me that is was putting out 800 watts. But did have much to say when I told them I have a Yorkville 400 sittin' beside the iamp and its just burying it (and for half the price!)
    3000watts? I'd be in hog heaven. Nothin' like headroom for days! I'd use it even with a 210 cab. (Carefully though)

11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I need poof! *slams fist on desk*

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dunno BB,

maybe the iAMP you had was faulty. :(

if we're talkin' "umph", usually a nice bump in the 40Hz and 180Hz gives me all the booty i need.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'd strongly suspect that you have a faulty iAMP 800. Does the signal cut out before you have the gain all the way up? If so, then you might have the same problem that I did (which is easily solved). Or are you able to crank the gain all the way without it cutting out, and you just aren't happy with the amount of volume? I can tell you from firsthand experience that my iAMP 800 has significantly more headroom and volume than my Walkabout (which is a very loud 300w into 4 ohm) or the ThunderFunk head that I tried (400w into 4 ohm). Granted, it's not in the same league as my 3,000w rack rig (Eden Navigtor=>PLX 3002), but for a head, I find the iAMP 800 to give me all the power I would expect from 800 watts into 4 ohm.

14. Hey Tom,
    It may have been the case. One avenue they said they would try for me was to change the detent on the gain. (To make it get louder...quicker). 'Cause I told them I was nearing optimal level at around 3 or 4 o'clock...& remarked that I didn't think that was supplying me sufficient headroom for more aggressive technique. At any rate, I was not displeased with the tone...like I stated earlier, I ran the pre section thru a Crown Macro 1200 & got all the 'uhmph' those 2 12's could handle. Hey...maybe I do play loud - I've never thought I did (do)...(?)

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'd try sending it back to them. Gary has always been very fast on turnaround, and extremely helpful. My problem with the protection circuitry kicking in too early happened with both gain knobs set about 10 o'clock. Now that I had that tweaked, with the gain on the intial gain set about 10 o'clock and the master gain at about noon, it's about as loud as I can stand (pushing a 2x10, 1x15 and 1x10).

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The most expoensive 410 on the market is about to be replaced! :p

17. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I don't know. Does EA have the most expensive 110, 112, & 210?

18. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Euphonic Audio equipment is not overpriced IMO. Nor are they expensive compared to other companies. The 4x10" should be reasonable. I am still looking at the NL210.

19. Yeah, there was a lot of crap that went on surrounding the whole purchase. Since the initial response was that it wasn't cutting it, I had a fairly reliable source do some research on the unit...and he said it was a refurbished piece. I bought it thru Bass Central and let them know what I knew...then the guys at EA got involved and and no one was fessing up; dispertions were cast, (NOT from EA) etc. (got kinda ugly). So even after the offer was made to rectify the problem I was done.
    But in all honesty, I think their amp is 'good'...not worthy of the ranting that I often hear. NEVER cared for any in the VL series cabinets. Liked the Cxl 112...definately not a 'honky' sounding cab, like my experience with the VL's. Have not tried the NL series. (Have heard good things).

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Just curious, but did you ever try the VL-series cabs with a rig that had boatloads of headroom? IMHO, the VL cabs sound okay with moderate amplification (200-400 watts per cab), but really come alive when you start feeding them more than 400w per cab. The VL-210, especially, needs lots of power (and it keeps sounding better the louder you go). I can see a VL-210 being "honky" at lower volumes, or with a lower powered amp, but in general, I have found the VL-series to be very smooth and balanced. Of course, I prefer to drive them with my 3,000w rack rig...