1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Holy crap! New Mesa Walkabout 12!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by finalrequiem, Apr 14, 2010.

1. So, I'm sitting in my office and my dad walks in. He says "Here, Tim and I were somewhere and saw this for sale, I don't know if it's a good price or not but I thought you might be able to use it". He hands me an 18.5' livewire cable and the receipt, and I think to myself and say to him, "Yeah, I can use it, thanks a lot!" So I look at the receipt to tell him about the price and notice it's from Guitar Center. I'm puzzled because he would have NO reason to be there and as I'm about to ask I see something else on the receipt that says "Mesa" on it... I honestly about crapped a solid gold brick.

Wow... Listen, I'm 26 with two kids, good job, great wife, all that stuff. Never been in trouble or asked him for money. He isn't rich by any means and his business has been struggling lately (who's hasn't?). What means the world to me that he took the time to pay attention to me and even had a clue about what my interests even are. The money and amp are immaterial, to be honest. Wasn't always like that as a kid, when he was passed out drunk by 5 pm.

Anyway I'm hugely blessed and slightly embarrassed at my good fortune!

2. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Post pics or it didn't happen . . . otherwise, enjoy!

3. [​IMG]

4. Sorry for the ginormous picture.

5. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Take it off, take it all off

6. OMG it's a box! congrats on getting an official Mesa/Boogie cardboard box! :p

7. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Heh heh. Good one> Let's see the goods.

8. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    Very, very cool, man!

9. It'll have to wait till I get home. I don't want any "work" germs to taint it.

10. Illinimax

Illinimax

Oct 11, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Great story. Thanks for sharing.

11. Most excellent!!!

Sounds like Dad is remembering when he wasn't such a good Dad and is making up for it.

Also sounds like he's become a genuinely good man

(My definition of manhood is when a man gives more than he takes.)

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Awesome score, and a great dad to boot. I remember my parents telling me I didn't *need* an amp when they bought me my first bass, (a long time ago). " you don't need that, you have to learn to play *this* first". I was horrified. Congrats on owning the best 12" combo on the planet.

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Your Dad is awesome. Tell him we said so.

14. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    :atoz:

15. He's a pretty good guy. He's changed a lot just in the past year. Listen, like I said, I'm kind of embarrassed because I'm 26 years old with a family. We grew up poor and I've been out of the house for a long time... Last thing I expected or wanted was for him to buy me something. The effort it took to find out what I was wanting and coordinate it w/ my wife and best friend is what really meant something to me, to be honest.

You are mostly the one who talked me into looking at them in the first place, RickenBoogie, in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631734&highlight=

16. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    The Mesa/Boogie Walkabout Scout is the gold standard for combos. I have the 1x15, and it has made me forget my sainted B15N, among others.

Thanks for a great story.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 Better late than never to the cool dad club. :cool:

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, after re-reading the original thread, the story is even more awesome now. You knew what you wanted, but weren't sure if A) it existed, or B) if you could afford it. In the end, sweet dad saves the day, making it even more special. Cherish the family, and rock that Mesa- now I've got to plug mine in and enjoy that awesome tone myself.

19. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Do a good thing and make sure you communicate to your father in some way how special this was to you.

Rock and roll.

Now, where are those unboxing pics? :)

20. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    wow that is very cool...its great to hear that your dad actually knows your interests.. that's a blessing.. Also, That may be one of the nicest sounding combos on planet earth!