1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HOLY CRAP

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Apr 11, 2003.

1. I have a gig tomorrow--got called about it at 2 AM--playing standards and free pieces for some cultural event at the student union.

IT'S PAYING.

I've never had a paying gig in my life. Ever. Bands here don't get paid.

Do I bring the featherweight fretless 4 and save my back, or the more versatile fretted 5 and take a break every 45 minutes?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Fretless, Pete. You know you want to :)

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Umm... you can't bring both?

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    This man is so much more smarter than you Pete, and I mean it.

5. I lack a double gig bag and bringing both would have been a slight PITA. I went with the fretted 5 on an impulse.

Anyhow, it went great. Setlist:

Well, You Needn't
    All of Me
    Song for My Father
    (improvised two-chord funk jam)
    All the Things You Are
    Footprints (free-ish version at warp speed)
    Blue Bossa
    (C Lydian jam, it got pretty bizarre near the end)
    Four

My cut was $50, my Clarus and GS112 once again proved their mettle, and I'm a happy man.

6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Aw, man... I miss college. That's about the last time I got to play those tunes, and you brought me back some nice memories.

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Now take that money and go order a double gig bag. Sheeeesh, do we have to explain everything?

8. Electric bill, gig bag...electric bill, gig bag...hmm. :D

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    candles are cheap.

get the bag. :)

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    How did you pay the electric bill before your semi-pro days began? ;)

11. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Go with the 5 -- you'll be glad you did.

;)

12. I had a job doing tech support. I got fired from it for rampant unprofessionalism... :oops: :rolleyes:

13. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I have found using only a fretless bass in an unfamiliar situation can be a problem.

Lots of ambient noise/no monitor/ inability to hear yourself can lead to intonation problems.

The fretted 5 was a good choice.

Nice choice of tunes, btw. Horace Silver.

rs

14. :D

It was funny--we started on "Desafinado," and our keyboardist's fakebook had completely wrong changes for it, so we went into panic mode. We vamped on Fmaj7 for a little bit, then the keyboardist called out "Song for My Father," which is in F minor, and all was good.

I have the action on my fretted 5 low enough that I could hammer out F-C, F-C with my left hand while flipping to the appropriate page in my Real Book. (Yes, I know I should know the changes to "Song for My Father." :rolleyes: I do now.)

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Peter

Where is the weight in that bass, I was considering maybe a similar body shape and pick up lay out for my custom FBB project but i think i am closer to having Matt build me a clone of the Warwick Infinity (semihollow).

16. Everywhere. Get a longer upper horn, I'd say, but the whole damn bass is just heavy. Walnut body + bubinga top + thick through-body neck = HEAVY.