Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Apr 11, 2003.

1. I have a gig tomorrow--got called about it at 2 AM--playing standards and free pieces for some cultural event at the student union.

I've never had a paying gig in my life. Ever. Bands here don't get paid.

Do I bring the featherweight fretless 4 and save my back, or the more versatile fretted 5 and take a break every 45 minutes?
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Fretless, Pete. You know you want to :)
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Umm... you can't bring both?
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    This man is so much more smarter than you Pete, and I mean it.
  5. I lack a double gig bag and bringing both would have been a slight PITA. I went with the fretted 5 on an impulse.

Anyhow, it went great. Setlist:

Well, You Needn't
    All of Me
    Song for My Father
    (improvised two-chord funk jam)
    All the Things You Are
    Footprints (free-ish version at warp speed)
    Blue Bossa
    (C Lydian jam, it got pretty bizarre near the end)

My cut was $50, my Clarus and GS112 once again proved their mettle, and I'm a happy man.
  6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Aw, man... I miss college. That's about the last time I got to play those tunes, and you brought me back some nice memories.
  7. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Now take that money and go order a double gig bag. Sheeeesh, do we have to explain everything?
  8. Electric bill, gig bag...electric bill, gig bag...hmm. :D
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    candles are cheap.

get the bag. :)
  10. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    How did you pay the electric bill before your semi-pro days began? ;)
  11. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Go with the 5 -- you'll be glad you did.

12. I had a job doing tech support. I got fired from it for rampant unprofessionalism... :oops: :rolleyes:
  13. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I have found using only a fretless bass in an unfamiliar situation can be a problem.

Lots of ambient noise/no monitor/ inability to hear yourself can lead to intonation problems.

The fretted 5 was a good choice.

Nice choice of tunes, btw. Horace Silver.

14. :D

It was funny--we started on "Desafinado," and our keyboardist's fakebook had completely wrong changes for it, so we went into panic mode. We vamped on Fmaj7 for a little bit, then the keyboardist called out "Song for My Father," which is in F minor, and all was good.

I have the action on my fretted 5 low enough that I could hammer out F-C, F-C with my left hand while flipping to the appropriate page in my Real Book. (Yes, I know I should know the changes to "Song for My Father." :rolleyes: I do now.)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Where is the weight in that bass, I was considering maybe a similar body shape and pick up lay out for my custom FBB project but i think i am closer to having Matt build me a clone of the Warwick Infinity (semihollow).
  16. Everywhere. Get a longer upper horn, I'd say, but the whole damn bass is just heavy. Walnut body + bubinga top + thick through-body neck = HEAVY.