Holy Fire

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jmceachern36, Dec 17, 2012.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Any Holy Fire users out there? Happy with the pedal? Any complaints? Cant find a lot of info or sound clips on it other than a few people raving about it. I'm looking for another overdrive pedal. One that will thicken things up a bit and maybe add a little wool and warmth. Like the fact that this one looks like it will get close to fuzz too. Any bass loss? Any problems cutting through a mix?

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If memory serves, I think that a lot of people here enjoyed them, and the two primary downsides were:

a) price point (which I believe has reduced since they started self-distributing, and doing direct retail)

b) the bulky adapter it required because it ran at 48V.

3. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    I just returned mine.

I was looking for a light OD for just a bit of grit and growl for some of the more driving songs I play, and I made the purchase based mostly on the aesthetics of the pedal but also because of the rave reviews it got around here.

It's a beautiful clean boost, no noise, and the distortion tones it gets are very saturated and, as you mentioned, close to fuzzy, definitely no low end loss. Unfortunately I was looking for a dedicated overdrive, and it's just a little too honky in that role for me. This was into an SVT CL and 410, an amp/cab combination that really emphasizes the mids to begin with, so with a more even response setup, or maybe even a decidedly mid-scooped setup, you may not have the same complaint.

The tone knob was probably the biggest let down, as with just a little more control I may have been able to tame the honk, but all it is is a shelf with a freq sweep. If it had boost/cut treble and bass knobs instead, I can almost guarantee I would have kept it.

I a/b'd it against a TS9 and it was nothing short of heart breaking to have to choose that lime green mess over a glowing steel Castlevania power-up. If I had the technical know-how I would have transplanted the TS9 guts into the HF chassis, it's that cool.

Again, it's a great pedal if you're looking for a clean boost or a saturated distortion, I would definitely put it in the woolly and warm camp, but if you're after a dirty, gritty overdrive, you'll have to look somewhere else.

4. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    I think these boxes are ugly and the marketing subtext is distasteful.

5. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    The Holy Fire is my best overdrive. It does pretty good distortion too but for overdrive I have never found better after running through 15+ different OD's.
    It's expensive, the customer service of the company is pretty weak, the power supply is a bit of a paint but tone wise nothing can touch it for a natural OD tone.

It can reproduce the warm tone of a tube amp just breaking up a bit. It takes nothing away from the low end and the pedals is capable of a huge gain.

bassfuzz.com has an entire video segment that is pretty realistic to what you would experience in real life.

I use it in front of an SVT-CL and a Markbass F500. Bass wise it plays very nice with my Fender P basses.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021