1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Holy-grail 7 lb. 13 oz. 5 string P/J in burled maple

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by soulstew, Feb 15, 2017.

1. soulstew

soulstew Supporting Member

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    Price:
    $625
    Strings:
    LTD RB1005, designed in collaboration with Rocco Prestia of Tower of Power. $625 shipped CONUS
    (these currently go for $1299 new, $930+ for blemished)
    [​IMG]

Here’s the short version: Holy-grail-level power-to-weight ratio for a 5-string at 7 lbs, 12 ¾ oz, with the big, ballsy classic P sound of Aguilar P/J set. High-end mother of pearl/abalone inlay work, excellent fit and finish, top-shelf hardware, extremely nice high fret access and overall comfort and playability. These are a well-kept secret in the P-bass world right now.
    [​IMG]

The longer version: After lots of experimentation with 5 string basses, I decided I’d be a 5 string player for the foreseeable future, and also realized that the P-bass tone is the sound in my head. I’d followed this model with interest from its introduction, being both a Rocco Prestia admirer and pushover for gorgeous burled maple. This came up for sale late last fall, and I picked it up. The tone of the Aggies blew me away, and the light weight and fantastic fret access and beautiful burled top only made me more sure that this would be my main player for a long time. The preamp had been switched out by a previous owner, and I expected to swap it back out with the originally spec'd Aguilar OPB-2, but the one it came with (a Seymour Duncan 3 band) was really nice, and I found no reason to change it. I strung it with a new set of LaBella Deep Talking Flats and was basically set for life:laugh:.
    [​IMG]

So why am I selling? After I bought this bass, I unexpectedly bought a Dingwall 5 string that was way beyond my normal means, on the agreement that I would quickly repay the family account with gig money and proceeds from gear sales. I figured I could sell enough gear without touching this one, as I still play it for the first set or two of every gig for its P-with-flats goodness, and figured as I age, the 7 lbs 12 ¾ oz. weight would become more of a factor. However, after selling lots of gear, I’m finding the few remaining pieces I have on the classifieds have not sold yet, and I have a deadline to meet. Dingwall also nails the P-tone and lots more, so I had to make a choice. I’m not happy about it, but a deal’s a deal.

[​IMG]

Bolt-On Construction
    34" Scale
    Swamp Ash Body
    Burled Maple Solid Top
    5-Piece Maple/Walnut Neck
    Maple Fingerboard
    45mm Standard Nut
    Thin U Neck Contour
    22 J Frets
    Black Nickel Hardware
    Grover Tuners
    Gotoh Bridge
    String spacintg at bridge: 18mm
    Aguilar AG 5J-HC (B) & AG 5P-60 (N) p.u.

[​IMG]

Here’s the thread I bought it on: SOLD - ESP LTD rb1005 Rocco Prestia (Tower of Power)

PM me with questions. Thanks for looking!

Edit: I've been asked about cosmetics, given it's passed through two sets of hands before mine, so I'm attaching even more pictures to show swirling and a tiny ding on back side of the point of the headstock. I can't find any other dings. Those pics are below--they're taken in very harsh late afternoon sun from the least flattering angles possible.

Also, I've been asked about the "hum" that is mentioned in the previous owner's classified. I had the bass for several days before I was able to hear anything like a hum, but it was more of a faint buzz that was sometimes audible when I wasn't touching the strings. I bought it knowing of this and planning to hunt it down, but it was so faint, and sometimes not audible at all, and was not audible when I was touching the strings, which I virtually always am when on stage, that it was a complete non-issue for me, and continues to be. Both pickups are dual coil, hum cancelling, so you don't get the sort of hum/buzz you get with one J pup soloed, for example. The sometimes buzz is fainter than that, and is not there at all when you're touching the strings.

Here are the additional photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Orange Caesar and Gord_oh like this.
  2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh If it ain't broke, break it then fix it. Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. soulstew

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    <<DAAAYUMM>>

That's what my bandmates said the first time I showed up for practice with this bass.

Gord_oh likes this.
  4. baltodoc

baltodoc Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Case?

5. soulstew

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    No case--but I'll pack it safely. I do have a Fender dual bass case I'd sell you if you're interested, though.

6. soulstew

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    Pics and additional explanation added to address question I've received via pm.

7. Wow!

This wont last long!

soulstew likes this.
  8. road-cat1

road-cat1 Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    sent a question to you about preamp via PM

9. soulstew

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    Thanks. Sent a reply.

10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    String spacing (at bridge)?

11. soulstew

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    18mm. Sorry I didn't include that--added to description.

12. soulstew

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    Deposit receved, soon headed to sunny California:laugh:.
    Thanks everyone for the interest and comments!

comatosedragon likes this.
  13. told ya!

soulstew likes this.