Holy grail of V4B tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JeezyMcNuggles, Oct 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Well guys, I found the magic.

JJ5750 in V1

Original ECC83 tubes in V2 and V3

JJ Gold pin 12AX7 in V4

This is the winner guys. If you are looking for more play with your gain knob, less unwanted distortion, but with no sacrifices anywhere else in this wonderful little beast, that's it.

The 5750 gives lower input gain than the original ECC83, which gives more clean headroom, and allows you to play more dynamically. The drawback of this tube choice is that you sacrifice overall volume, and treble.

Although...

The Gold pin JJ 12AX7 re-ups your gain a little (giving you your volume back) and also adds treble (giving you back your sizzle). Having this at the end of your chain removes (pretty much removes) all the defects of the 5750, and still keeps the benefit of staying cleaner with strong playing.

This $40 solution to an other wise glorious amplifier has, so far, been amazing. If you're looking for what I was in this beast, that's it.

Just felt like sharing. Stay Funky My Friends.

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Of course you mean 5751 instead of 5750.

FYI, JJ also makes a ECC83S MG. MG stands for medium gain.

So far, every time I have tried a 5751 in my amps I preferred 12AX7, but vive la difference. I.E. If your happy, I am happy you are happy :thumbsup:. Happy, happy, happy :woot:!

3. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Yeah, my bad 5751

Wasnex likes this.
  4. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Maybe I'll pick one of them up in place of the 51. Pre tubes are cheap

Wasnex likes this.
  5. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Got one on the way. 15 bucks. I'll check it out.

Wasnex likes this.
  6. I had some JAN 5751 GE (1967) that I found to be the part of a magic formula for my Reeves. Maybe I’ll stick one in my V-4 (1972) CBD3A15B-895B-49AD-8929-39AAF123B37F.jpeg

BassikBrad, Wasnex and JeezyMcNuggles like this.
  7. Slightly off topic, but on my Blackbird I've replaced both 12ax7s on the Gain channel with two 5751 (I've left the 12ax7 on v1) and my P through that channel is just glorious. Crunchy but warm, fat but clear. I love those 5751!

krfoss, Wasnex and JeezyMcNuggles like this.
  8. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    For me, just replacing the v1 12 left me lacking. Its the combo of the gold 12 in the last stage really sets it back on track. But, I've got a med gain 12 coming that wasnex suggested. I'm gonna play on it for a bit, and probably update this thread. I've also been looking at some new power tubes. The only problem is that the stocks sound great, and they don't cost an extra 200+ to find out if I like them better or not. If anyone has swapped power tubes in one of these, please leave a reply as to what tubes, and the effect.

Wasnex likes this.
  9. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Agedhorse suggested, and I tried, using one or two 12AT7s in my Walkabout. Gain is lowered, of course, but it did sound sweeter. MUCH sweeter. Heck....most of us with higher wattage heads like the various and popular 800W Mesa units and others, could perhaps benefit from these lower gain but sweeter sounding tubes like the 5751 or 12AT7. We'd still have all the loudness we need. Heck....a TT800 with a 12AU7 (reputedly the sweetest of them all) might be loud enough, depending on the application. But I'd ask some knowledgeable folks for input first, like Agedhorse.

Kijuer and JeezyMcNuggles like this.
  10. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY

With the addition of the JJ 12ax7 in v4, is really the only difference than stock is slightly less gain? Does adding the JJ put the treble back to where it was stock, or still slightly different? I bought my V4B used, but never opened it up to see what was in it. I had bought it from a professional touring bassist, so who knows if he changed anything.

11. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    It sounds pretty much back to normal, but with less input gain. Which let's you play with the knobs more before breakup. Its this guy though. Not a standard 12AX7.

JJ ECC803s / Hi-Performance 12AX7 Gold Pin Preamp Vacuum Tube JJ-ECC803G-2.jpg

707GK likes this.
  12. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    And what are you using for the power tubes? Good clean power tubes are as much part of the formula for clean tone as any combination of preamp tubes.

13. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Stock. The power tubes were my question to the community. "If anyone has swapped out power tubes in one of these, please leave a reply..."

14. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    What settings do you have on your blackbird? I have one as well and use the gain channel for bass.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I left mine all stock. I tried a new Tung Sol 12ax7 in V1 but it made it too bright for me, as did a handful of NOS 12ax7's I tried, so I left it stock. As for power tubes, I honestly never heard a lick of difference in any amp I ever swapped power tubes, so I didn't bother.

JeezyMcNuggles and SirMjac28 like this.
  16. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I agree that there is not that much difference in the various 5881/6L6GC variants. The tone and headroom can be limited by what the power transformer can do. There is more variance between the higher biased output tubes EL34, 6550, and real 6CA7, which usually are in amplifiers that have larger power transformers, and a wider variance in the desired bias.

JimmyM likes this.
  17. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    JeezyMcNuggles likes this.
  18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The stock 12AT7 tubes in the WD and TT were selected and designed around for the combination of low noise, low microphonics, dynamic range and shape over the operating curve, output impedance and current drive is also a particularly important characteristic which is why the 12AT7 was chosen.

SirMjac28 and JeezyMcNuggles like this.
  19. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Oh! My bad. I assumed they used 12AX7s. I suppose it may be the 'dynamic range' of the 12AT7s that I like so much.

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Love current production JJ's

JeezyMcNuggles likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021