1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'Holy Grail' or "Holy Fail!" Professionally butchered 1961 P-Bass content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mindwell, Feb 6, 2016.

1. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Looks really nice, but...

3. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    "Jaco gave it to me after a gig at taco bell"............

4. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    They don't look like clay dots either, and the oversized poles on the pickups=non original, as well as the bridge and knobs. But hey, it's only $5400...lol smh

5. St Augustine, Florida?

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    South of Jacksonville, according to the map.

7. OldCityBassman

OldCityBassman

Nov 10, 2014
    Florida
    I was in that store today for the first time and saw the bass, didn't play it. They said fret removal was professionally done. It was in nice condition, I have no idea what its worth but definitely way out of my bass budget. Very nice owner, a phone call could possibly work a deal?

8. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I'd be cautious that they didn't mention the replaced bridge, knobs (are from an Ibanez Musician). Original electronics?

9. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    The times they are a changing.... If the work was done decades ago it was just a worn out P Bass among thousands of others. Better than hitting the land fill but they need to cut the price 94.5%.

10. madbass6

madbass6 Banned

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Hey what ever works!

11. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Some people need to aim higher when it comes to grails.

12. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    It's consignment so the store isn't on the hook for any money. It's worth what they can get. Time will tell.

13. Wish i could see this, and 99% of the other links. :(

14. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    image.

Lobster11 likes this.
  15. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I have a 64 that was badly refinished and defretted a long time ago.
    Everything else original, great sounding bass and I love it.
    Didn't cost anywhere near that much though.

16. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    $5400? For that? I don't think so.
    There is a Pre-CBS P Bass ('63, I think), at a store near my house, that someone is asking $3500 for. It's been refinished, and covered in varnish. Yuck. Good luck with that.
    If they were asking $2,000-$2,500, they'd be be in the ballpark. I don't blame anyone for trying to get as much as they can can for a vintage instrument, but there are a lot of people selling refinished instruments, expecting just way too much money.
    I have a refinished '63 Jaguar that is probably worth $2,000, maybe $2,500, tops. I don't know where people come up with some of these numbers. (And it's way nicer than that P Bass near my house.) YMMV

VinnyIuspa likes this.
  17. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Outlandish pricing I say. Maybe this'll be our next revolving CL gem? Like that artsy 60's butchered p bass we see two or three times a year.

hintz likes this.
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Think of how nice a bass you could buy; Custom Shop, or boutique, or a nice off-the rack Fender (or your favorite maker) and still buy a nice rig for less or around $5400.00.

Bajo Clarkko likes this.
  19. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Neck... Ruined. Body... Crappy refinish. Bridge... Um. Knobs... Wrong. Pickup... Not. Pickguard... Suspiciously good condition. In what sense is this a 1961 Precision?

Miker27607 likes this.
  20. VinnyIuspa

VinnyIuspa

Nov 12, 2013
    North Jersey
    That's definitely overpriced, I saw an all original for sale from the same year that still had the frets for about the same price