Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HOLY... I just got through watching the Rush In Rio dvd

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Thumpin4, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    Geddy's rig sounds so damn awesome. I play a MM5, SVT-4 Pro and 2 SWR 4x10 pro cabs. Could I get anywhere close to the tone that he has if I bought a sansamp peddle to add to my rig???

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Geddy has stated in interviews that he loved Chris Squire's tone, but could never get the hang of a pick. At some point, he slammed his fingers in a door, and his index fingernail grew back twice as thick, so he grabs his strings with it and yanks. IME, copping Geddy's tone is more effectively done by practically ripping the strings off the bass, or slamming your fingers on the strings so hard they bounce off the fretboard. It takes practice, but it works for me, regardless of what bass I'm playing or what rig I'm using. Remember, Geddy had Geddy's tone long before the Sansamp was invented.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Geddy refers to it as maniplulating the strings. He uses his middle finger like a pick. But, he doesn't do that all the time.

Geddy doesn't use an onstage Amp. He plays through an Avalon wireless system with Rotosound strings. .045 to .100 I believe.

You can't copy Geddy's Tone. It changes everytime you hear it. He's like a nomad of tone.

-Mark

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Geddy has a truly unique sound and attack, and 90% of it is in the physics of his own hands.

5. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    If I remember correctly, Geddy splits his signal three ways, through an Avalon, RBI, and something else. Way too complicated a rig for $400 bucks a gig + $25 bar tab.

That attack has to be the thing. Like John Entwhistle, who sounded incredible live but had a complicated rig, the right hand is the thing.

6. mgrier1

mgrier1

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Wait until you hear the new R30 DVD... Amazing tone, yet again...:bassist:

Slightly cleaner mix than the "Rush in Rio" discs, IMO

Great photography, as well...

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Two Maytag driers + vending machine + stuffed pirate parrot attached to your bass strap = instant Geddy tone.

8. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    The man continues to improve and expand his knowledge.

I love his use of accent pops on the R30 DVD. He uses them like you would a spice, to just add a little flavor to the song. He has said that he tried to lean to slap but just did not get the sound he was looking for, so he came up with his flamenco style finger attack.

I prefer his jazz tone to all the others for it's solid lowend and growly mids. Counterparts is a real favorite, great tone on that album. MP is of course also a huge fav. I tend to prefer when he used real amps. It seems he had a fuller overall sound. His current setup is good but I miss his old aggressive tone on the jazz. I'm hoping for a little less Flamenco strums and more of his fingerstyle lines, with some tasty fills.

I like the RIO show better from a bassist standpoint. There is just more to see and learn from that DVD. R30 is great but I still watch RIO more.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Hmm...His tone from Power Windows through to Roll The Bones impressed me msot...I lveo the sound he gets from those Wal basses!

10. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    Same here Chris. Nice tight bass sound.

11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I just picked up the DVD today. All I can say is WOW! I like the sound production on this one - very clear and a good representation of his tone. I think Rio was a better show but this is really nice as well.

12. That's how i get a steve harris/ geez butler tone too. . . except I use my wah pedal way at the toe end for harris tone and crank up more mids for butler. I kind of pluck really hard for geddy's slower stuff, but faster I can't do it so i overdrive it a bit and hammer it out.

13. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I'm not even anything of a Rush fan at all and I enjoyed this R-30 DVD a ton! Geddys' Growl was beautiful,, tight playing and Peart's little swingin' extravaganza was pretty fun!

Man, whoooood've thought that 2 Maytag dryers and a vending machine could make such a difference!! :D

14. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    It will be interesting to see the schematic the next time one of the bass magazines decides to do an overview of his rig :D