Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Holy jeez, you won't believe what I saw!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    While enjoying a classic rock cover band the other night, I was amazed to see the bass player bend his notes by flexing the neck of his bass (a Warwick Corvette)! I've seen this done before -- my ex-guitarist used to do it all the time to bend his notes. We used to cover our eyes and turn away (so we wouldn't take any shrapnel in the face).

This can't be good for the neck and/or body joint, can it? Has anyone else ever seen this done?

2. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Seen it done? I do it all the time to simulate whammy bar dive bombs. And how much it beats up your bass depends on how hard you bend it and how stable your neck is.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    YOUR RIGHT! I refuse to believe it!

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive done it before.

Only recently on my schools beat up Hammer Slammer POS. Were getting a MIM Fender next year (undecided whether to go J, P , or JP), so this bass is ready to take a beating. Its already taken far worse than any bass should.

And no It cant be good for the neck.

Peace
    Nick

5. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Billy Sheehan does it a lot.

6. I'd heard this, too.

Personally, I wouldn't want to run the risk of damaging anything.

7. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    And your in to death metal. Geezz. Just kidding.

8. I do that all the time when i play the piano.

9. I've done that for years on guitar, and a few times on bass to. Sure it stresses the neck a little, but you don't push until you hear wood splinter.

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I've tried bending the neck, but I much prefer bending the strings by pressing down on them above the nut. Don't get carried away with it though (I wore the nut out once on my MIM Jazz).

11. ye gods ! :eek:

what disrespect !!

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    You don't need a lot of pressure to get a noticeable change in pitch. I've done it before and it's quite effective!

Never noticed or had any problems with any of my basses either!

13. no, it's just that I have respect for the things I spend my money on, even if it is only a Squier. I know you were kidding, but I don't see how death metal means treating you gear like crap.

14. How is that disrespect? It gives you a sound that you normally don't have, and as long as you're careful, no problems whatsoever.

On the other hand, in the spirit of Pete Townsend,
    They're my ****ing basses.:D

15. I bend the neck when my covers band do RATM's "bullet in the head" in the chorus when there's a whammy bar bend up on the guitars.

it's much more difficult to do on my Warmoth parts P bass with its large neck and steel reinforcement than on my other basses.

check the "Fatfinger" thread for a link to a video lesson with Billy Sheehan in which he demonstrates neck bending.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive done it in the past, but wont do it anymore. I dont think its a good idea. It puts undue stress on the neck, weakens the seal and neck.

17. tummage

tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
    Oh people please!

I've done that on like every gig I've played for more than 25 years. Never had a problem. Never needed anything but a yearly truss adjustmentb/cuz of humidity. Ever seen a manufacturer unfreeze a truss rod. Some luthier's even stand on the neck when puttting the truss in to flex it just a little.
    I'm not trying to pry a car door open mind you. It takes very little pressure to change a 1/4 or even a whole tone.

Besides what better way to justify that new Roscoe than popping the neck off a mex Jazz.:D

Tummage

18. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Hategear...You don't reside in the New York Metro area, do you? I do that trick (on my Warwick Corvette) when my band plays "Breakstuff" by Limp Bizkit. The long upper horn lends itself to this kind of tone-bending abuse...its a trick I learned from watching Adrian Belew grab the horn and headstock and push inward.

19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hmmmm...

Interesting info. Still, I don't think I'll be doing it any time soon -- I only have one bass! ;)

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'd rather get a whammy pedal...

i'd NEVER EVER EVER bend the neck

('specially on my neck thru spector! :D )