Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Holy Let-Down, Batman!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Folmeister, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Chew on this for a second. I went to Gelb Music in Redwood City to try the Accugroove Tri 210L (you know, with the impedance switch) and had a rather interesting time. The cab is light and loud, but the tone I got from what I believed was a high-end rig was kind of. . . . . :meh:

Here is the rig:

Mesa Big Block 750
    Accugroove cab
    Zon Sonus 4

Where is the weak link? The bass was set slightly above flat on the controls and the Big Block was set at a reasonable gain and master with the EQ set at 12 o'clock. The tone just. . . .was nothing special. Any ideas? I want the cab, but maybe I should wait for the new Mesas?

2. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    The AccuGroove(s) are pretty transparent. That's not everyones cup of tea.

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive ran into this as well with high end gear. Sometimes "color" in tone is a good thing. Personaly I have a tone in my head and it varies on what I need it for. Good clean tone doesnt sound good "all" the time. Jmo.

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...where do you think it was lacking in tone? Lows/highs, ???...

~S~

5. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    It was lacking definition at both ends of the spectrum. It was very. . . . Ampegy? Lots of middy, muddy lows.

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    WOW! I'm shocked! I'm going to try one in a few days myself, so, I'll see if my luck differs.

Can you can compare it to other 2x10's?

What 2x10's have you liked in the past?

~S~

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Just a guess, but from this, it doesnt sound like the cab. I would think the head. Ive played that cab before, I though it did well.

8. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The BigBlock 750 seems to have a preference for larger cabs. I'm not terribly surprised that you weren't blown away with the Accugroove/BigBlock combo. Did you try a different amp?

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    interested in what you find, Dev. let us know.

11. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Sounds like a good time for some clarification regarding our cabinets.

What drove me crazy for 30 plus years was not hearing the true sound of my bass in live settings & not having the flexibility to EQ the sound. (In addition to having to take multiple cabs & having reliability problems)

Therefore, all of our cabinets are designed to be true to the sound you are producing, it’s kind of like listening to your bass through headphones. (Some people call this flat) What goes in is what comes out.

This also solved another problem for me, non-flexible pre-EQ cabinets. With cabs that come plug & play, they have their own sound pre-dialed in. That may or may not be a bad thing depending on your tastes, but it leaves little room to adjust with your EQ. Because ours start flat, you can EQ all you want & actually hear a major difference when doing so. Just adjust the EQ on your bass & or amp and it’s like kicking them into hyper speed.

For some reason, everyone tries out basses, amps & cabs set completely flat in the store. However, when they play them live, they EQ them to their taste. With our cabinets my personal taste is to add a little high to the EQ. When playing our smaller Tri 110L or Tri 112L I may add a touch of bass depending on the room.

Bottom line; when testing basses, amps & cabs, adjusting your EQ is not a No-No. Despite popular opinion, our cabs were designed to be EQ. The next time you try a product out (especially our cabs); adjust to your hearts desire, you just might be amazed at the difference.

Oh, by the way, our 6” midrange & tweeters are designed to be turned on all the way. (Although you can adjust them where you want) Many players out of habit will turn them down to 12 O’clock, because that’s what they are use to with their harsh compression horns. Please try them the way they were meant to be played & make sure they are turn completely on.

I hope this helps a little.

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

12. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I really can't compare it since I didn't get the tone I was looking for. As for other 2X10s, I have Peavey, Acme, Mesa, and SWR. All of them seem more. . . ."colorful?" My favorites are the Mesa and the Acme

13. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Congratulations! Now what do I buy?

14. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Thanks, Mark!

Mark

15. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Dude - are you really looking for someone to tell you what to buy? All anyone can reasonably offer is their opinion - your mileage will ALWAYS vary. :)

You seem (based on your posts in this threadt) to prefer the sound of pre-tuned cabs. That's cool. The good news is there's tons available. Gelb has a pretty cool set-up allowing you to dial in the various cabs and amps with a switcher. I found that particularly helpful in hearing the differences between cabs and made choosing much easier.

Good luck - don't forget to report what you end up grabbing!

:D

ps -Whappo Grande - thanks for the great cab Mark!! :bassist:

16. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    It does when you have GK growl on your side :smug:

17. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Uh, I was referring to the fact that you snagged the only Tri 210L that I know of that's available off the showroom floor. Now I'll have to order one and play the waiting game.

18. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Oh that. :oops:

please excuse my last post then.

At least you'll get a brand new- never been kicked around a showroom floor cab!

19. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The cab you bought was not in bad shape was it? It's not like it was at GC being deconstructed by Generation Y. I drooled on it at least twice! Say, what head are you running into that?

20. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    they should be restocking those at gelb. i like that store. they let me run a fender 800 pro thru an aguilar gs112, and try to blow the doors off. i liked the tone and volume of that cab/setup up, but i went with a dr.bass 1260 cab (12x6xhorn). gelb had some pretty clean gear, not to mention high end stuff (accu-g, aguilar, f-bass, lull). strings are pricey there, though.

you could find out where jeff is playing practicing, and then go listen / play it. (with jeffs permiss of course) it would probably be a learning experience for both of you.

also, isnt accugroove a sponser of bassquake (www.bassquake.org). they may have some down there on the 25th.