HOLY MACARONI!! Mark King on bass!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 43apples, May 23, 2005.

1. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Oh my holy funcadelic lowend! Who said slap isn't cool? :cool:

I just got a clip of Mark King and a band (i think it's Level 42) playing a tune here, live i think.... And yeah, this IS funk! This music is making me jump around and play air-slap bass! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Total exctatic hysterical funk-synchopation jazz deluxe!!

Just listen:

(Sorry about the rant, but i'm a total funk and slap head, and this is just the icing on the cake for me :D )

Keep it funky!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  2. LOL, that's Mr. Pink, and I actually played that on a concert at school today. Going to do it on my exam in a week or so.
    Probably the most "harry" song ever. But yeah, it actually is quite cool, although I think his intro solo is pretty lame. Not really my style, though. (Just doing it for the showoff.)
  3. Mark King flat out &%@#&^* rules! Period!
  4. As much as I respect Mark K's much copied style - he's a little old hat now - he's a great all round muso but there are plenty of people that slap like him now - this UK dude Stuart Clayton is probably one of the best 'respectful' imitators, he's written some good books on King's style and transcribed many of his tunes, his website has some clips on (www.stuartclayton.com) - check out his version of Mr Pink:

He's very tight and has the style down pat - enjoy.

5. But this guy stuart clayton had a very boring slap-sound, though!
    And it wasn't very tight either, if you ask me...
  6. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    There is no bigger Mark King fan in the world than I. I've been into his stuff for 20 years.

I'm not going to agree that he's "old hat". That, to me, suggests that his "thing" was new and fresh at one time, but is now commonplace and non-notable. Balderdash...he still does what he does better than anyone else. And don't forget, he's usually singing too.

He's in a rut. I think that the other guys who were in Level 42 with him (notably Boon Gould) were the songwriters and he was the executive. Since he's split from those guys (he still plays in a band he calls "Level 42", but he's the only original member), he has produced absolutely no new good music.

He released a solo CD called "One Man" in about 1998 that was full of mediocre songwriting and, oddly had a total absence of flashy bass playing. A little later, he released another solo CD called "Trash", which was full of stuff he had been working on but never released on CD...until he released them on CD. (?) With the potential exception of "Sooner or Later", which sounds so conspicuously like earlier Level 42 that I wonder if it perhaps was already written sitting a vault somewhere, there's nothing worth mentioning on Trash either.

The current incarnation of "Level 42" keeps releasing recordings, both audio and video. I can't get enough, so I buy every one. But they are all the same - live performances of all the same songs we've been listenting to for years. On the Level 42 website, someone asked Mark if he knew of any good Level 42 tribute bands. He responded tongue in cheek by saying that he was sure he was in a pretty good one, which I agree with - at this point Level 42 is merely a cover band of itself.

I would love, love, to see a new Level 42 recording where some writing collaboration between King and the old crew had been going on - or at least King and Wally Badarou, who was not in the band per se but had a lot to do with the writing.

Meanwhile, Alembic, Status, Jaydee, and Fender all offer or at some point have offered a "Mark King Signature" bass. So the guy must be making a good impression on others than me.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Damn! Just.................................damn!! The other cat is good too but Mark King just throwing down licks off the top of his head like that is just frikkin' ridiculous! Geez, it's insane to have chops like that! And he's got the funk!! :crying:
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He's good, but most Level 42 songs are pretty cheesy and bland. I do like some of them though, Hot Water, Love Games, Something about you... and a few others, but they are all still pretty cheesy. Mostly due to lyrics and they keyboardists approach. :meh:

He's actually got pretty good fingerstyle playing, but he doesn't use it as much as he should.
  9. I agree completely...however "World Machine" has some smokin' hot pop on it.
  10. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Love his style and his sound..
  11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Yea. I guess this guys okay...

yea right. This guys a monster.
  12. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Damn, maybe I should start learning to slap... that's just frickin cool!
  13. Wow. Not as good as Mark King playing it, but still amazing! The fingerstyle playing is so sweet, and the slapping is so relaxed and in the groove. I have some practicing to do! :)
  14. I'm in awe of that Mark King clip!
  15. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    No, he doesn't double thump, but he remains one of the best "conventional" slappers out there. He's one of those guys that can keep a great groove going even while wanking.
  16. bass_guy33

Jan 24, 2004
    Mark King uses a lot of double pops to make him sound a lot faster, but some of his actual slapping is ridiculous. I'm in the midst of learning Mr. Pink right now actually, the song part at least. If I can't find a tab for the live bass solo part then I'll figure it out by ear most likely.
  17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I agree...it may have something to do with how it was recorded though. Victor Wooten has a great live sound, but listen to "A Show Of Hands" and his bass sounds small and rubbery. This recording sounds like this as well...just sort of rubbery and lifeless...reminded me of a midi file, while Mark King's live recording has a far more alive and powerful sound.
  18. Yep, I agree...still, it's not hard to get a more exiting sound than that!
    I think Mark King is pretty cool. His solos tend to get a little bit out of hand, though....I don't really like them.
    But he got a pretty good groove though!

Mr. Pink is a fairly easy song to slap - the tricky part is for the band to sound good, and not totally ridicilous...
  19. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Level 42 were HUGE in Europe and when I attended middle school everybody was talking about "That Little blonde man playing a bass almost as big as himself by whacking the strings with his thumb."

I recently bought the "Level 42 live at Rockpalast" DVD which has two shows of 1983 and 1984 and King was in full steam on those shows. a real "Must have" for all funkateers.

Mark King was the Flea of the eighties, the one who inspired countless bassplayers to stick out their thumbs and slap.
  20. fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Mark King is still my favourite bassist to date.One thing that does show in his playing is his grounding in drumming,so he's actually a drummer playing bass and that's a formidable formula for slapping and syncopation.He plays it so naturally and effortlessly and I truly despise comments which suggest that he's showing off;consider Muhamed Ali...was he showing off or was the great Pele ? I believe that if you've got talent then let it rip as it inspires others to better themselves.Here's some more great clips from Carl Muller's superb website...