1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

holy mother of god

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bearhart74, Aug 9, 2019.

1. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    a ship load of bondo and a new spray can finish should put it in the 5 figures realm

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  2. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    I'm VINTAGE too, so hand it over... LoL

gebass6 likes this.
  3. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Bwahahahahaaaaa!!

4. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I was told by a fella on this forum that it's a feature Leo included for performance.

5. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    It's got a scratch on it

creaturegods likes this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    How many people here mod basses? Back them, there wasn't upteen websites with parts to help you.

I have a '69 P. About 35 years ago, the original owner replaced all the hardware with gold colored (tuners, screws, knobs, etc. - just think what just those pieces are worth), replaced the bridge with a gold Badass, and stripped the body to refinish. Still plays and sounds great.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Definitely not worth 8Gs but I don't think looks had anything to do with the mod. Looks to me like it was all about ergonomics. However I don't think it would be too difficult to put back to normal appearance with a piece from an another J style body and some finish.

wraub likes this.
  8. orange joe

orange joe I am serious and don't call me Shirley

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    Yo guitar center needs to put the bong down.

9. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    Mona_Lisa.

The Rage and BadSanta1281 like this.
  10. HaphAsSard and DrThumpenstein like this.
  11. bftbassman

bftbassman

Aug 23, 2014
    Ephrata PA
  12. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I saw that bass.

13. basshawk21

basshawk21 Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm thinking I would not want to arm wrestle with the guy who sanded all that wood off :woot:

creaturegods likes this.
  14. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA

Speterc and SactoBass like this.
  15. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    'taint worth what they are asking...

16. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm drunk and even I know that's not right

17. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

…only if it's a Stephen Hawking signature Jazz bass. :bag:

Seriously, a "spaghettification" joke?! Awesome! Thank you, TalkBass, for making my day!! :roflmao: :thumbsup:

As for that "Jazz-ish" thing, I'd seen it earlier on the database and I was equally baffled by the modifications and the asking price. Someone really, really went to town on it. What were they aiming for? Who knows. It's quite possible they weren't aiming for anything concrete, but rather an idea that hadn't fully formed.

Speaking as a former art student, I can testify that these things happen. I know what it's like to start a project only to suddenly realize that I've taken it too far, that what was done cannot be undone. It's "trial and error" captured for all to see and the results aren't always pretty.

People can grumble, both seriously and facetiously, over what was wrought upon "that poor, innocent Jazz bass :eek:", but the real crime is the asking price. In my own, personal opinion, the best way to monetize that thing would be to break it up and sell it as "vintage parts", but keep the body as a object-lesson for overly-ambitious modders.

18. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    So someone carved on an old mass produced Fender. SO WHAT??? No need for insinuations of physical damage to the person doing it. And its kind of harsh to pass psychological judgement on said person... unless you are in fact a psychiatrist and have been treating the person.... and in that case you just divulged his medical condition and now he can sue you! :laugh:

19. Erithon

Erithon Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2018
    It does look weird because it's not the Fender lines I expect and I don't like it. But someone must have really loved this bass to go to such trouble; it's not exactly a casual project.

Lot's of posts assuming a guy did this: looks to me like something a woman who prefers to wear her bass high would want done for ergonomic reasons.

20. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Yeah, nah! You can buy several new ones for that kind of money that you won’t be afraid or ashamed to take to a gig.
    No mojo in this one I’m afraid.