1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

holy mother of god

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bearhart74, Aug 9, 2019.

1. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If the remaining parts are original (I didn't read the full description, but the price suggests that) then it's like pretty much any other modified vintage bass...it loses a lot of value due to the missing finish and then even more due to the body modification. Based on what people are asking for similar stripped finish basses with an intact body...about $3000...then it's easy to argue it's worth $1000. It could be parted out for way over $250.

2. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    This is so disturbing, I got no words...

3. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
  4. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I've seen worse.

5. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    This came around a few years ago. I thought it came out that the original owner was wheelchair bound and modified his bass so he could hold and play it comfortably in his wheel chair. Anyone remember this?

Axstar likes this.
  6. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    Joke’s on all of you. This is an original Leo Fender prototype.

7. GHOST AT

GHOST AT

May 24, 2011
    I was preparing for much worse when I clicked on the link. But $8000 for it HELL NO!! Maybe worth $1500-2000 for the electronics and neck?

8. There was a time when older bits of wood screwed to older bits of wood were not worth astronomically more than newer bits of wood screwed to newer bits of wood. They were just tools and a means of expression both visually and audibly.

Then the collectors and Nostalgia hunters came and old bits of wood became worth more than flux capacitors and unicorn farts.

I'm sure this bass was created in the former era. I'm not much interested in paying the vintage tax, There are too many wonderful new basses but to each their own

9. crankypants

crankypants

Aug 12, 2019
    What's it weigh?

creaturegods and Stumbo like this.
  10. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Those old nitro finishes let the wood breathe for superior tones. Sometimes the wood breathes out more than it breathes in.

TakeABreak and Tim Schnautz like this.
  11. wluffman

wluffman

Dec 21, 2013
    Hate the looks, but maybe if it feels and sounds amazing ... naw, not even if Jaco had done the mods.

12. bedrockhead

bedrockhead

Jan 15, 2010
    Arkansas
    In 2019, "in jest" might get someone a not very humourous visit from the FBI.

13. acfshenk

acfshenk

Nov 5, 2018
    I said out loud when I saw it, "It melted!"

14. Ross Gibson

Ross Gibson

Jul 28, 2019
    Hmmm - I suspect the OP is exaggerating his outrage. Clearly sees this as sacrilege. That's how I interpreted it and kinda smiled. I could be wrong though - I thought I was wrong once. In any case, I suspect half of us bassists over 60 could probably do with a bit of waist narrowing anyway. Cheers

15. [​IMG]
    Apologies if you don't know of the Vincent Black Shadow motorcycle, but the thread reminded me of my favourite cartoon in Britain's Bike magazine

[​IMG]
    An unchopped 1951

16. Julian G

Julian G

Mar 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Argghhhh.... They've killed it!!!