Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HOLY POO!....Thomas Lang

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
  2. Pots 'n pans...tis all... :D

Honestly, I don't find drums musical at all. They are giant metronomes, they don't make very melodic stuff. I've heard an interesting drum "solo" a few times, but after a minute or two it gets boring and dull.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Dude, open your ears. Drums are beautiful instruments (can't say the same thing about drummers though...), and are capable of very melodic stuff. It's just not as readily apparent as other instruments. Check out Terry Bozzio, Trilok Gurtu, Pandit Kamalesh Maitra, Danny Carey, Bill Bruford, Pat Masteletto, Steward Copeland, or my personal favorite, Earl Harvin. Yeah, alot of drum solos are boring. So are bass solos, which are often not very melodic at all... pop, slap, repeat. You just got to find the right guy doing the right thing, that's all. Giant metronomes? There are many times that the bass is the metronome in the music, and the drums play the more melodic/rhythmiclly interesting role. EVERYBODY in the band is responsible for keeping time; the drummer is just happens to be the most noticeable when doing so.

Oops... not meaning to jump on ya there. Just yakkin' music, that's all.

As far as this german guy goes... yes he's fast. But I bet he doesn't play like that all the time in every musical situation. Michael Manring can play pretty fast too, but he does what most musician's should do: serve the song.

Rant over. Have a happy day!:)

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    He has an instructional DVD coming out soon. Some Quicktime preview clips are available at www.hudsonmusic.com - he has some interesting concepts/techniques.

5. Right, but once you add all the bells and whistles (pun intended) you're not playing drums anymore, you're playing windchimes.

I don't have anything against drums, I'd like to have my own set, actually. I just don't find them very musical.

I do think it's an instrument though. I'm not one of those people who say "drums aren't an instrument". :D

6. "drums are not very musical or melodic".... man, you're not listening to the right drummers. Check out Billy Cobham, Dennis Chambers, Jonathan Moffett, Mike Clark, Jack DeJohnette, Peter Erskine, Billy Higgins, Paul Motian.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Keep in mind that it's a product demo, not music.
    This <b>Austrian</b> guy has quite a resume.

Also check out Marco Minnemann. He's awesome and played on the latest Paul Gilbert album. Great German drummer.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Aahh... Austrian! "G'day, Mate! Let's go throw some shrimp on the barbie!"

9. of course, as a drummer, i'm going to have a bias, but let it be known that mr. lang is an absolute monster player, who is INCREDIBLY musical. he wasn't just about the pyrotechnics at all. everything he played was intelligent, precise, and altogether tremendous, and he's well aware of his role as a drummer. he deserved all 5 standing ovations that he got.

drums are totally musical instruments, man. i don't necessarily go the route of jack dejohnette in terms of tuning to Gmin7 chords, but mr. d. is incredibly musical and melodic, and if you're a drummer with open ears and an open mind, you'll play for the music, whether it's simple or complex. terri lyne carrington always discusses the importance of harmonic development and its influence [or] on her playing. i agree. i find i get a lot of inspiration from what's going on harmonically, whether from the guitarist or bassist.

drums rule!
    meeks

http://www.geocities.com/smogg_rocks/main.htm