Holy price increase, Batman! (Thomastik)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    At one point in early 05, Thomastik increased their prices by 5%.

Previous to this increase,I was able to purchase TI JF344's and JR344's for $50 without taxes at a local store (didn't get charged tax, though.)

My mom just came home with a set of JR344's I ordered (thankfully paying for them, I can't thank her enough -- I've got Obligatos to buy for my DB!) complete with a receipt for $62 before taxes, now $72 after.

Did I miss another price increase or something? 'Cause I'm pretty sure 5% of $50 is NOT $12. Can't say I'm pleased with a $22 increase in strings -- AT ALL. Not only am I now being charged for taxes from the shop (weird enough) but that stuff adds up. Keep in mind this is in fact a 4 string set. 4 strings. $72. What the hell?
  2. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    change your string brand or e-mail the company and just ask why?
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Perhaps someone at the music store charged your mom list because they knew she wouldn't know the difference. :eyebrow:

Don't call Thomastik--call the store where she picked them up.

I just bought two sets of TI Flats online, and I paid the same thing I've been paying all year.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Changing the string brand is out of the question. These aren't D'addarios we're talking about, where there's any number of similar, if slightly lesser (less life, less durable) alternativse. TI Jazz Rounds are absolutely unique in relation to feel, tension, and tone. There is no alternative here.

Bassmonkeee -- I think I may have an idea of what might've happened, as far as the taxes thing goes. I always deal with the former owner who still works there and treats me very well, whereas his son (step-son?) treats all the customers like garbage and is a total prick to work with. Methinks my mother ended up dealing with him, as the owner, Bill, would recognize her and would probably have given her the same deal as she's spent about the same amount on gear in there that I have (for my brother and I.)

As for the apparent price increase, I'll be calling tomorrow.
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Are we talking Canadian Dollars? Well, even so, that's high. Dude sells both JF's and JR's for $40.00 usd, which I think translates to about $48.65 in Canadian money. Now the five string sets are $62, but you said four, right?
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Four indeed, yep. Hmm. Sounds like I might end up shopping from the Dude, depending on border duties and stuff.
  7. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Meh. My friends were just in Germany for foreign exchange; I should have had them get me a set or two...:p