Holy Snare-Buzz, Batman!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Jan 24, 2001.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hi all,

It seems that now that I have a real bass rig I am rattling the drumkit. Here are some quick details. We play with non-amplified drums. Bass rig: 600w Carvin 1x15/2x8 combo. Guitar rig: Peavey stage 130w 2x12 combo. MICs 100w power amp to 4x8 cab.

We get a heavy rattle/buzz from the drumkit (snare paticularly) when I am playing on my new Cyclops. I didn't really notice it before, but now that my amp is 3x the power of my old rig... It's gotten kinda bad. Is there any way to prevent that? I was going to try moving the amps around but if there is another way to do this (add something to the snare or whatever) it would be a great help.

I know this is sorta a drum question... sorry for that! But if you can help, please let me know!!

Thanks in advance.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I played with a drummer who had a cheap chrome snare, Pearl, where it was a problem (his problem). Then he got a real snare, a Yamaha Anton Fig, and it wasn't a big deal any longer.

Is your drummer's set at least on a piece of thick carpet? How does he keep his bass/basses out of the front row?

One of my amps is a Cyclops, too. If you bridge it with another cab, no one will know the drummer is there anyway;)
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    So, replacing the snare may help. That is good to know. His snare is a Low-Grade Pearl, as your drummers was. Putting it on a big chunk of carpet might reduce the buzz too?

Thanks for the info!

To answer your question... Not on carpet. We havn't gotten that much fame/fortune yet... We play on a concrete slab (true story!!) and hold the drumkit in place with a couple of cinderblocks. :)

Looks like I am off to ebay again... Where all equipment is sold at 99% of it's value + 20% for shipping and handling!

4. yes, the carpet is a good idea, but if that doesnt work, and u still have buzz, put some duct tape on the snare. Put it right from the drum head over the snare net, that will muffle the drum a bit, but will also reduce the vibration. Also, i like the way the drum sounds after the tape!
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The carpet stop 'chase the kick drum around the stage' syndrome as well. If it only happens in bits where the drummer does not play and he cannot get a new snare yet get him to switch the sbare bit off until he comes in (remembering to switch it on of course).
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    also it may help to have your drummer tune his heads. have him experiment with tightening and loosening (evenly) the top and bottom heads of the snare.

he can also tape the snares to the bottom head, maybe 2 pieces of wide masking tape. this will tighten up the snares a bit when he hits- might make rolls sound a bit choppy - but it should also minimize snare rattle. cotton between bottom head and snares will also help a bit.

this is not just a function of cheap/expensive snares, although a good, tight snare strainer will minimize this.
  7. i also agree with john about tuning the heads, that could make quite a difference...
  8. rickbass

I just thought of something else another drummer did. For some reason, I guess I tend to gravitate towards heavy hitters so this guy knocked the bottom out of his snare, (I know little about drums), the springy-thingys, the bottom head(?), just the snare head/batter was left. No buzz and he sat no more than 15 feet away from the double cab Sunn Coliseum I had back then.

I would think a drummer would invest most heavily in his snare. I may be wrong, but isn't that the the heart of the set?

Not using the carpet surprises me. I mean, I've worked with drummers where their basses were permanently connected to a board so the board could be nailed into the floor and they wouldn't kick the things into the cheap seats even though they were miked. Maybe I just miss the guys with the lighter feel.
  9. It's the drummers problem, not yours. He should post a question on TalkDrum!
  10. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Lots of good advice above. Another thing to consider: I notice my drummer turns off the snares (with the lever) if he's not playing when the bass is going (say during a bass intro section). With hand on the lever, he'll engage the snares just a moment before he comes in. Another thing I've seen him do is reach under and mute the snares with his hand during a drum tacet. Takes a bit of skill, but it can minimize the snare noise during breaks in the music.

- Mike
  11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    The only true solution--join a dub or reggae band--the drummers always play with the snares off!
  12. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Snares buzz when the metal coils vibrate against the lower head. If they are both removed, of course there won't be buzz!
  13. rickbass

Snares buzz when the metal coils vibrate against the lower head. If they are both removed, of course there won't be buzz! [/B][/QUOTE]

Uhhhhh.....which is why I mentioned it since that's what we're talking about.
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there won't be a snare either - that'll just be a high pitched tom.
  15. rickbass

That's about what it amounted to, JT.
  16. what CS says, i had the same problem. in my studio which is rather small i have a drum set. when i whale the sh%# out of my 400+, even when im playin normal ill rattle the wires on the bottom of the snare drum. well if you look at the side of the snare you should find a lever which will mute the wires on the bottom of the snare. have your drummer flip the lever when hes playing. this should cure your problem.....