1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Holy Tone Batman! Bartolini 9J in Early 90's Carvin LB active to passive conversion.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pocket Grub, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Hey all. I'm posting this because I couldn't find any current info related to this and I think it will be helpful to someone with a similar project.

I recently replaced the active preamp and pickups in my early 90's LB76 with a set of Bartolini 69j-l1 and ln1s and a passive V/V/T/T harness from Bestbassgear. I cannot express how good it sounds. I dont have issues with low output as other threads have suggested and the split coil 9js are dead quiet.

I am running the neck pickup in the bridge and vise versa and the harness came with .047uf caps.

Some threads suggest the the dual tone controls fight each other but I haven't experienced that yet. Have a gig with it this friday.

clarke46 likes this.
  2. clarke46

clarke46

Oct 16, 2005
    This is almost exactly what I am looking to do with my '92 lb76f. Can I ask why the neck pickup in the bridge though?

Pocket Grub likes this.
  3. User error. I don't have alot of experience with soldering. When I wired it up yesterday the neck pickup wasn't working. I re soldered the bridge to the neck controls and vice versa, still no neck pickup. I was super frustrated because the tone from the bridge pu was awesome.

I thought I'd gotten a bad pickup and with a gig coming up on friday I didn't have time to wait for a new one to ship, I pulled the pickups and switched them because I knew that the neck position would give me a p bass ish tone and I thought that it would work better for dubby reggae stuff.

Evidently my soldering the first two times didn't work (bartolinis ground wire is a mesh tube and I didn't let enough solder flow onto it) . Third time, with the pickups reversed, and it worked... and wow.

Super thick a punchy, without mud. The mid scoop that occurs with both volumes on full is awesome. Full neck volume and it's the meatier p bass tone ever. Full bridge cuts like a fat, sonic knife.

I loved my Carvin before but the active pu s were always too hollow and hi-fi sounding without any low mids.

4. clarke46

clarke46

Oct 16, 2005
    I definitely want to try these now. Your description sound exactly like what I am going for with this bass.

Pocket Grub likes this.
  5. The guys at Best Bass Gear are great. If you get the passive vvtt harness, you'll need a reamer to enlarge the pot holes... it's a pretty simple upgrade, if you know how to solder ;)

6. I just swapped the pickups and it sounds even better.

clarke46 likes this.